Help identifying old Longines?

Thread: Help identifying old Longines?

Help identifying old Longines?

Hi,

After reading through many threads and trawling google, I'm struggling to find out much about this watch that has been sitting in a drawer for years, so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I can't read the name of the manufacturer on the face, it says Longines on the movement but Baume on the inside of the caseback so I'm not really sure who it was made by. I had a look at Vintage Watches - Collect...Identify...Discuss and the serial number dates it to 1948 which seems consistent with other sources but I had a look at their database of watches and this one doesn't seem to be there, or anywhere else that I've found. Any clues? Thanks.

Name:  DSC05253 (1280x960).jpg
Views: 279
Size:  531.6 KBName:  DSC05255 (1280x960).jpg
Views: 253
Size:  557.2 KBName:  DSC05259 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 244
Size:  387.8 KBName:  12080020 (1024x577).jpg
Views: 230
Size:  415.0 KB

Re: Help identifying old Longines?

It looks to be a solid 9ct gold Longines all right. Baume were the distributors of Longines in the UK for many years and would have had the movement and dial cased up here to reduce import duties. This was a common practice. Name:  Baumead2.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  697.6 KB
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thanks for the quick reply Marrick! Any ideas about the type of movement that's used? Probably wasn't the smartest idea but I gave it half a wind and it started ticking away for a few hours which seems ok after all these years. I'd be interested in getting into good shape again, is this possible? Would it lose originality value at all or is it basically just worth the scrap? Are there any recommended watch repairers around in the Sydney area? Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Possibly bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Longines 12L or one of that series.

If it runs like you say it should only need a straightforward service to get it running properly. The only real issue is the state of the dial which is probably too far gone for you to enjoy on the wrist. Dials can be refinished - but I have no knowledge of Australian firms. But we do have some Oz members who may be able to advise.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thanks again for the help Marrick.

Very nice. Well worth a little effort to put it back in running order. If you do - please update us with some "after" photos. Thanks for sharing. Good luck.

Thread Information