Help Identifying Old Pocketwatch--Pontifa

Thread: Help Identifying Old Pocketwatch--Pontifa

FAM

Help Identifying Old Pocketwatch--Pontifa

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this company (Pontifa), or seen a pocket watch like this before. It is not solid gold, but I believe it is gold plated. It is an automatic movement. I could only find a little bit about Pontifa online, but cannot find anything related to this style of pocket watch (other than I believe it is a vintage or antique ladies watch).

Any help at all would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help Identifying Old Pocketwatch--Pontifa

Are those little rings stuck around the case? At 2 o'clock, 4, 6, 8 and 10?

If so I reckon this was designed to be worn with a chain threaded through them and clipped above the crown, and then worn around a lady's neck as a pendant watch. Possibly. I'm not sure. But that's my guess.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

FAM

Yes, those are rings where the chain is supposed to go through. That is why this is so unusual, to me anyways. I know Pontifa (and the logo) have been around for a long time (and are a Swiss company), but I don't know about this piece. Thus, any knowledge is appreciated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

What I find interesting is that a pendant watch would be an automatic. How would the auto wind work?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    What I find interesting is that a pendant watch would be an automatic. How would the auto wind work?
    There have been some - well at least one - posted in this forum before. They just work on body movement, but they can't be very efficient unless worn by a very active person.

Pontifa website Official Pontifa's web site seems to be focused on clocks nowadays.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Eterna was so proud of their efficient winding that they came up with an automatic pocket watch - for golfers.

FAM

OP here. My mistake, as I said in the original post that it was an automatic, where it is a manual-wind up watch. Regarding the company, they seem to still be around, although I don't know what they make these days. I have seen the company mentioned as a "mid-line manufacturer" with companies "such as Breitling, Universal, Eberhard, Zodiac, Pontifa, Delbana, Bovet, Excelsior Park, and Mido" in this Time Zone article (A Heuer Before it was Tag - TimeZone).

Thus, I am still puzzled on how many watches Pontifa made, and the rarity (or lackthereof) of this particular piece.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Ah! That makes sense then

The issue is not rarity, it's desirability. Well in terms of resale value - rarity is only an issue when it comes to getting parts for it.

I actually have this exact watch and the chain that came with it. I know next to nothing about it, other than it keeps excellent time. I believe it is quite possibly gold, as I have worn mine next to my skin for the better part of 2 years and it hasn't lost the finish. I have very a very acidic composition, so I can't wear base metals for any length of time without them losing their finish. The chain that came with it when we bought it is an S-link, or serpentine link chain.

I had found contact information online for Pontifa and had written them, but never heard back, which was disappointing.

If anyone finds more information, please post it, as I am very interested in learning more.

Rose

Thread Information