Help identifying Omega ladies watch

Thread: Help identifying Omega ladies watch

Help identifying Omega ladies watch

Hi all. I'm a newbie. My husband is into high end watches and I am into vintage things. He bought me an Eterna Kontiki watch years ago that I love. I decided to go ebaying yesterday to see what I could find. I found an Omega De Ville automatic ladies watch offered by a local seller. I like the looks of it so I made am offer and it was accepted. I've done this backward because now I am trying to identify it. It hasn't yet arrived so I am going by photos and text in the listing.

First, here is the listing: Omega Ladies Automatic DE Ville Watch Vintage 1960 NEW Crocodile Leather Band | eBay

Next, here is a link to big photos: Auctiva Image Hosting

Here is relevant text copied from the eBay listing:

Movement: Signed “OMEGA Watch Co, 661, Twenty Four 24 Jewels, 91037166, Swiss”

case: Signed “ OMEGA Watch Co, Fab Suisse, Swiss Made, Plaque or G 20 Microns, Fond Acier Inoxydable, 551048, 407”.

I found out that the 551 means ladies, automatic, non-water-resistant.

On Omega's site, they have a vintage watch search. I didn't find anything under 551.048 or 551048. I did (through brute force) find this watch, which may be the same but in stainless steel and manual:
    OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

any ideas for me? I apologize if I should have posted this in the ladies' or Omega forum instead. I appreciate your help! I hope I haven't bought a really creative fake or a lemon.

Re: Help identifying Omega ladies watch

Hi and welcome
    I am NO expert on Omega
    but your watch looks 100% genuine to me.
    Movement looks 100% Omega , face/dial and case look correct
    Seller is showing everything, and all looks good to me.

Manufacturers change models so often sometimes its hard to find every model they did, unless you can find the catalog for that year

Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Hi and welcome
    I am NO expert on Omega
    but your watch looks 100% genuine to me.
    Movement looks 100% Omega , face/dial and case look correct
    Seller is showing everything, and all looks good to me.

Manufacturers change models so often sometimes its hard to find every model they did, unless you can find the catalog for that year

Regards
    Awesome! That's a relief. I love that boxy 60s vintage look. I hope it works well when I get it! I'm a bit nervous about no water resistance though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mistysj View Post
    Awesome! That's a relief. I love that boxy 60s vintage look. I hope it works well when I get it! I'm a bit nervous about no water resistance though.
    Its a very nice looking watch.
    I dont understand the movement serial number at 91 million.
    But as I say I am NO expert on (modern) Omega's - my knowledge is 1920 pieces
    Enjoy
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Its a very nice looking watch.
    I dont understand the movement serial number at 91 million.
    But as I say I am NO expert on (modern) Omega's - my knowledge is 1920 pieces
    Enjoy
    adam
    I suspect the number has been transposed and should be 19 million, which seems to correspond with 1962. Is that likely? I couldn't see the serial number in photos.

I suspect the number has been transposed and should be 19 million, which seems to correspond with 1962. Is that likely? I couldn't see the serial number in photos.
    Yes makes sense - 19m is 1962 - I doubt they reached 91m yet!

and
    Adam

Yes makes sense - 19m is 1962 - I doubt they reached 91m yet!
    The watch arrived today and it looks great! I have no idea how to look further to see how authentic it is. My husband said that sometimes these watches can be assembled by hobbyists from parts that don't belong together. Since I can't find this watch in the Omega DB, I am a bit worried about that. But I am sure that it would cost money to have it appraised and I am not sure it is worth spending that.

The watch arrived today and it looks great! I have no idea how to look further to see how authentic it is. My husband said that sometimes these watches can be assembled by hobbyists from parts that don't belong together. Since I can't find this watch in the Omega DB, I am a bit worried about that. But I am sure that it would cost money to have it appraised and I am not sure it is worth spending that.
    I believe the watch is genuine, and you like it, so go ahead and wear it with pleasure. Enjoy. Adam

and
    Adam

Thread Information