Help Identifying Pre WW2 pocket watch

Thread: Help Identifying Pre WW2 pocket watch

Cool Help Identifying Pre WW2 pocket watch

Hi there folks , as this is my first post I am hoping I am putting this in the right place . What I have is an old pocket watch a friend was given from his grandfather ,
    we are looking at help trying to date and find out just what kind of watch it is , since it has no name on the front . The outside of this pocket watch is made of silver ,
    the inside of the face looks like gold , that is quite intricate , in the detail . There are some distinct markings on it , inside the backplate of the watch it has a serial number "981894" ,
    it also says "Made in USA" . Now on the movement it says " Swiss Made" and it also says "15 Jewels" and "3 adjustments" .

If anyone could provide any information about this pocket watch , we would much appreciate it , hopefully you guys appreciate it ! Now for the pr0n !

Name:  pocket1.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  223.4 KBName:  pocket2.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  226.9 KBName:  pocket3.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  267.1 KBName:  pocket4.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  223.4 KBName:  pocket5.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  244.0 KB

Watching this thing tick away is like art . Thanks again !
    Last edited by reap; June 1st, 2012 at 06:57.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Help Identifying Pre WW2 pocket watch

The style is almost certainly aimed at the US market and from your description the case is US made, as was common with these. The dial may well be as well, that isn't clear to me as to what is most likely. Movements were imported into the US and cased there, sometimes by the Swiss companies US office, sometimes by local US companies. These came into fashion in the Twenties, probably late Twenties and dropped out of fashion sometime in the Thirties. I can't identify the movement and you may need to remove hands and dial to see if there are markings under there.

Nothing to add - but a nice watch and welcome to the forum!
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mirius - thank you so much for your insight , knowing the date approximation alone is great . Feels like we are holding a nice peice of history ! I think it's fantastic that something nearing 100 years old works so well . Is removing the dial and hands a difficult process , would I be better served taking it to a pro ? Thank you so much for your time and help !

Marrick - thanks a lot ! Great to be here I think I may have a new hobby lol . Seems I found the right place for it ;)

Definitely take it to a pro (or at least an accomplished amateur) ; removing and replacing hands risks damaging both the hands and the dial.

We can tell from the picture that's its a "negative set" watch ... that means that the crown and stem are part of the case, not of the watch. The stem ends in a simple square-ended staff that fits into a hole in the movement. That type of arrangement was the norm for American built watches, but was uncommon for swiss-cased watches except for those specifically designed for the American market. The movement looks sorta like an FHF caliber (or even possibly an Omega, but those were normally branded and had a serial number), but I can't find a specific match anywhere. It's relatively rare to see a pocket watch (16-19''') using a cock that includes the center wheel; most models use a bridge (meaning that the plate is screwed down on two sides, not just one). Those that use a cock usually put the center wheel pivot on the winding bridge.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Definitely take it to a pro (or at least an accomplished amateur) ; removing and replacing hands risks damaging both the hands and the dial.

We can tell from the picture that's its a "negative set" watch ... that means that the crown and stem are part of the case, not of the watch. The stem ends in a simple square-ended staff that fits into a hole in the movement. That type of arrangement was the norm for American built watches, but was uncommon for swiss-cased watches except for those specifically designed for the American market. The movement looks sorta like an FHF caliber (or even possibly an Omega, but those were normally branded and had a serial number), but I can't find a specific match anywhere. It's relatively rare to see a pocket watch (16-19''') using a cock that includes the center wheel; most models use a bridge (meaning that the plate is screwed down on two sides, not just one). Those that use a cock usually put the center wheel pivot on the winding bridge.

Wow thats great AbslomRob , thank you so much for all that information . From what I see only the one number on the case is a serial number unfortunately , I am going to try and get it in to a pro here in town to take it apart and do some maintenance . Hopefully at the same time he can find a little more for you guys to go on . I like that your saying its rare , cool to have something unique . You have been so helpful already , thanks for your time !

Thread Information