Help identifying a Rado Golden Horse vintage watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OCDood

Thread: Help identifying a Rado Golden Horse vintage watch

Help identifying a Rado Golden Horse vintage watch

I ran across this same watch recently and have been trying to identify it so I can find and possibly purchase one similar. Can anyone provide any further info on it so I can research it and possible locate one? I think this exact same watch was just sold on eBay (see link below) . Thanks for any help.

Rare, Authentic Vintage Mens Rado Golden Horse Automatic W/date, C. 1970s

eBay listing
    RARE Authentic Vintage Mens Rado Golden Horse Automatic w Date C 1970s | eBay

Stephen

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Help identifying a Rado Golden Horse vintage watch

The first thing that ought to be pointed out is that if a watch appears for sale and is advertised with the exact pictures of another one just sold elsewhere, one ought to beware! For a start it is bad form to use another seller's pictures, even if you have just bought it, don't like it and want to get rid of it again - but frequently, the second watch really doesn't exist and someone is trying to scam a sucker.

Apart from that, the watch looks in excellent condition - almost too excellent to be true. It might be new old stock but it might also have been "done up" a little (redial, polished case, etc.) which would reduce its value to a collector looking for near-original pieces. Black dials are particularly frequently truly redials (they were rarer in many models so an original black dial is worth a little more).

Rado watches were high class generic movement watches. They usually used ETA or Adolf Schild calibres. I have a somewhat wrecked one somewhere with an AS 1701 (with 41 jewels!).

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for the information Hartmut. I was wondering the same regarding the pictures on eBay and on the WatchDB website. I looked into it further, and its very possible they are the same entity, or related somehow. They have sold several of the watches that were in the WatchDB on eBay, at varying price points ($100-$5,000 or more), have excellent feedback, all for high ticket watch related items. Under scrutiny, it does seem like a legit auction.

I wasn't interested in that specific watch as it was sold prior to my finding it anyway. I'm just trying to identify as searching for Rado Golden Horse turns up a lot of varied styles. So I'm trying to narrow the search with a model number or other specific identify.

I'm not a collector per se, and it would be a watch for regular wearing, so if it was 'done up' to look better thats perfectly fine by me. Probably even preferred actually.

I appreciate your time, thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Stephen!

I completely agree with Hartmut.
    The Golden Horse shown on the pics is definitely not authentic in this condition but one of those "made up" vintages. The dial is refinished(though not bad quality), the moving anchor logo looks like taken from another watch - it´s one of those from the late 1970s/1980s with red finished metal plate and should be with an artificial ruby/jewel as base. The original dial is silver with a structured ring around the markers:

Case and back are extremely polished. The back normally wears around the seahorses-logo the patent numbers of the caseback(it´s a bayonet one) and of the moving anchor logo on the dial:

These are completely gone, as well as the reference number. The Horse model lines(Golden, Purple, Green, Amber) were made in inumerous variations for decades. This one is from the beginning/middle 1960s(not 1970s) and should contain a 30-jw.-AS 1701. The German 1964 Catalogue shows the GP version:

This Golden Horse is uninteresting for a collector and IMHO completely overpriced. If you´re looking for an original one, the reference is 11675.

Edit: Here´s a pefect one in authentic NOS condition.
    Last edited by mike184; May 29th, 2013 at 08:05.
    Best regards, Mike

Thanks for the education in Golden Horse watches. Much appreciated.

If this watch was priced lower, it would have been a perfect fit for me. It would be a watch I'd be wearing daily, and I'd soon destroy and render it worthless. So collectables aren't my thing, as I'm pretty hard on my daily wear watches! Whatever I buy would probably look similar to your fist image in a couple years.

My draw is not the brand, the vintage, or being a collectable. It was purely a visual attraction to that particular watch itself. In fact, when I fell in love with it, I didn't know if Rado was a respectable brand, or some no name watch with a cheap movement.

I'll keep looking for something similar in visual style, hopefully at a price point that when I destroy it in a year or two I won't feel bad when I can only get $32 for it in an auction :) If i find a similar used Golden Horse at a reasonable price, so much the better.

I happened to see a couple vintage Green Horse watches for sale on ebay today, I had never heard of them before and was surprised to see them being discussed.

Both were supposed to be around 30-40 years old, had the spinner anchor on the dial, and priced in the $50 range IIRC.
    Reflex439 likes this.

Thread Information