Help identifying (railroad/fishing)

Thread: Help identifying (railroad/fishing)

Help identifying (railroad/fishing)

I haven't the slightest idea about this watch. I know my great grandfather got it when he was in WWII. Its a railroad on the front and it says "Regulateur" on the front. The back has a person fishing and there is small print in the picture that says "FRAINIER". The front has a missing seconds hand (i think), but it is located in the back of the watch. The number 168 is stamped in the back as well, along with "depose argentan". above the depose it has "10" and below it has "168" and below that it has "q 4"

If there is anything else I need to look for in order for somebody to identify what this watch is, and possibly worth, just let me know. I just want to know if its worth repairing, it currently doesn't work. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Help identifying (railroad/fishing)

That's a very curious watch. The seconds hand is definitely missing and, what's worse, the dial seems to be loose - it has rotated a little - which would mean that the seconds hand pinion is broken. Plus also the feet on the dial fixing it to the movement. As such, it is unfortunately probably not worth repairing - unless it's a family heirloom, in which case the emotional value is usually higher than the real financial one. As for the age of the watch, approximately 1900, give or take a little.

Hartmut Richter

Thank you for the reply. Yeah the dial is loose and can spin around. I still have the seconds hand because it was taped on the watch in the back. I wasn't planning on getting rid of it, just sort of wanted to know a little bit more about it. Any idea how much it would cost to get it working, I know its hard to determine since nobody physically has it infront of them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Fixing would cost somewhere between "a lot" and "a whole heck of a lot", depending on how much damage there is. The watch looks to be a generic sort of swiss watch from before the swiss returned to dominance in the watch world. As such, finding replacement parts (for the fourth wheel, for instance) would be very difficult. That means either modifying an part from another watch, or fixing the existing part (by pushing out the pinion and replacing it). That would likely require a pretty decent watchmaker devoting a fair amount of time (which translates into expensive). And that assumes that there's nothing else wrong with it.

I'd guess $2-500, as a start.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

$2-500 wouldn't be that expensive... I mean this pocket watch sure looks valuable and it could be passed down as a family heirloom ... I'd say its worth fixing it.

I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred dollars making this thing work. Anybody familiar with anybody in the southern ohio region that would know more about it?

Thread Information