help identifying some passed down watches

Thread: help identifying some passed down watches

help identifying some passed down watches

Hello everyone, iv spent the last few days browsing this forum as i have recently found out i have a watch addiction.

for Christmas i was given some of my grandfathers watches.i believe one has been passed down to him but im unsure, and i would love to find out a little bit more about them. then get them cleaned up, serviced etc so i can wear them.

first is a pocket watch.

i accidently broke the front glass or plastic. so hopefully i can get it replaced.

--------------------------

2nd watch is a omege Deville automatic switch watch, this was one of my grandfathers

the band is to small so i was hoping i can get it made longer... or i might have to get a new band

------------------------

3rd watch is a Valgine. iv found this one very hard to find anything about,... google always tries to search vagina instead....

this one is a bit scratched up but im sure would clean up ok.

if anyone could help with any info on any of them that would be great...

thanks.

bryce-

Re: help identifying some passed down watches

I tried to find some info on your watch and got distracted.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Congratulations on those watches. It would have been nice to have the original crystal for the pocket watch but you should be able to get a replacement. I fear that the maker (one should properly say: the assembler) will remain anonymous. The case is by Dennison Watch Case Company from Birmingham which suggests that it was assembled in England (the Swiss often used German cases). The movement is, however, a generic Swiss movement and was made by Unitas. The following is an example and may not be the exact movement in yours (the exact specification depending on the size of the movement as well):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Unitas 30

The Omega is nice and will have one of the later in house movements (from the eighties onwards, Omega used generic movements for quite a while). As for Valgine, the brand was registered by Ali Guenat as Montres Valgine in Les Breleux, Switzerland on 21. July 1949 (info from Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index). The watch will also have a generic movement of some sorts. There are a few Valgines on this forum, you can use the search function to find them.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

PW is powered by the ubiquitous Unitas 43X ebauche (or variant). The hallmarks should have quite a story to tell. p
    Courtesy of ULF.

Omega is likely a cal. 1020 (or 1022). I think on a de Ville 1022 is more likely.

thanks for the help.

i managed to find out the family history on them today..

the fob watch used to belong to my Great Grandfather’s uncle, They lived in a little house in Stratford England. He used to cycle to work every day to the local mental home where he worked in the ‘engine’ room. The case is the original one. (my grandmother still has the original chain but it has been modifyed into a necklace.)

The Valgine my grandmother bouth for my grandfather many years ago. It was waterproof at the time...

The Omega was My Grandfather’s, I think he bought it when they were living in Hong Kong. (around 40 years ago)

If you havent already searched for Valgine on WUS, I recently posted all the info I have gathered on Valgine. I bought a 25 J Auto a few years ago in mint condition. Ever since Ive been searching for info on them. This is a reprise, sorry folks. They have been in business for approx 100 years. They worked with other prestigious watchmakers, doing what Im not quite sure. They labelled few watches of their own. A lot of those seem to have ended up in Australia and South Africa for some reason. Presently assembling watches designed by the famous high end watch designer Richard Mille, as partners. Stopped putting out their own label. Each Mille watch has the distinctive Valgine "V" on it somewhere. They do use high end movements apparently. According to A. Guenat the same as used by Brietling and Heuer. They seem to be well apperciated in auction house around the world, but not so much in U.S. I love mine, handsome, unusual looking, and fine time keeper. There is a picture of it somewhere on WUS. In my humble opinion its worth taking care of. Yours is very handsome. Enjoy all of them. Happy New year to all. P&P

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

The PW is hallmarked for Birmingham in 1902. It's 9K gold.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Actually, the date letter is not a small "c", but is instead a capital "C", which dates the watch to 1927.
    Last edited by JL Smout; December 29th, 2012 at 16:37.
    "Civilization gets what it wants, is willing to pay for, and ultimately deserves".

thanks for the infomation. im still having trouble finding some new glass for the fob tho.

i also managed to get another omega from my dad

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/my-...ve-813455.html

Thread Information