help identifying "vintage" baume and mercier watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eeeb

Thread: help identifying "vintage" baume and mercier watch

help identifying "vintage" baume and mercier watch

im trying to find out more information about my dad's watch that i inherited as it seems to be in need of repairs
    on the back is the numbers 25600 and below that 1650020

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: help identifying "vintage" baume and mercier watch

Welcome to the forum. It looks like a quartz watch from the eighties or early nineties. In 1983, B&M took a decision to only make quartz watches which was only reversed >10 years later. It looks as if the crown is missing, apart from that, it probably just needs a new battery.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Welcome to the forum. It looks like a quartz watch from the eighties or early nineties. In 1983, B&M took a decision to only make quartz watches which was only reversed >10 years later. It looks as if the crown is missing, apart from that, it probably just needs a new battery.

Hartmut Richter
    thanks for the help, i had the battery replaced and it ran fine for almost a week then i noticed it was running about 20 minutes slow for a couple of days and when i set the correct time it stopped running completely, last night i set the time to 12:00 and after a couple of hours the hands had managed to progress to 12:15 but no further movement.. could this be a faulty battery? i had the battery replaced with a seiko but being an odd size battery could it have been hanging around past its use by date? or could the damage to the crown have damaged the movement?

how hard would it be to find another one of these watches to replace the movement if mine is damaged beyond repair? obviously the case and engraved backplate have sentimental value to me

Last edited by Rob Pietro; June 9th, 2012 at 05:01.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

A competent watchmaker can replace the movement with a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    A competent watchmaker can replace the movement with a new one.
    This is a very special quartz movement and the replacement will have none of its allure. A good (beyond competent) watchmaker can disassemble, clean, lubricate, and reassemble (just like a mechanical).

Most don't treat quartz watches like they were mechanicals, but finding one who will would be a good thing here. (My watchmaker will work on quartz only if I beg a lot! LOL)

Looking at the technology of the movement I suspect it is early 80s to recent.
    Rob Pietro likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    This is a very special quartz movement and the replacement will have none of its allure. A good (beyond competent) watchmaker can disassemble, clean, lubricate, and reassemble (just like a mechanical).

Most don't treat quartz watches like they were mechanicals, but finding one who will would be a good thing here. (My watchmaker will work on quartz only if I beg a lot! LOL)

thanks, yea i definately dont wont to replace this swiss quartz movement with a generic chinese one.. what is the approximate value of one of these watches? im guessing competant watchmakers charge alot for their services, would it be cheaper to source a replacement movement (a baume and mercier one obviously) or have mine rebuilt?.. also i dont have the crown wheel, im guessing if i had it rebuilt id need to get one from b&m somehow?

also would there be any trusted watchmakers on this site willing to provide a mail-in service?

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Looking at the technology of the movement I suspect it is early 80s to recent.
    it was a wedding gift to my father from his father in 1984, growing up i was facinated by it not having a seconds hand :)

also is there any baume and mercier experts that would know what model watch this is, the model number is 25600... it looks a lot like a "classima executive" except from what i can tell from the pictures online the classima is alot chunkier, my watch is barely 5mm thick with rounded edges not squared off, has roman numerals for ALL the numbers, not just 12 3 6 and 9... and no seconds hand or date window like some classimas seem to have.. also i remember the original strap was crocodile leather
    and would the movement be specific to this model watch or would there be a few different models that share the movement?
    Last edited by Rob Pietro; June 10th, 2012 at 07:23.

baume and mercier 8070
    Classima Executives in Yellow Gold
    Yellow Gold on Strap with White Dial
    http://www.essential-watches.com/Bau...ite-Dial-15791

similar yet different no?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

How did you set the time when the crown appears to be gone? Or is that a button to set the time (in Casio quartz LCD style)?

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information