Help identifying vintage Bulova, Dufonte, and Marcel Boucher?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Help identifying vintage Bulova, Dufonte, and Marcel Boucher?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Help identifying vintage Bulova, Dufonte, and Marcel Boucher?

First up is one of my grandfather's Bulova's he gave to me. It's in immaculate condition and keeps amazing time. I don't think he ever serviced it, he just buys them from garage sales and wears them lol.
    The rose gold is really nice and different; it's the only rose gold watch I have in my collection. I'd like to put a correctly sized rose gold watch band but they're so expensive! They range from like $50-$100 for a vintage one!
    Name:  WP_20150209_15_32_21_Pro.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  237.4 KBName:  WP_20150209_16_37_00_Pro.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  239.3 KBName:  WP_20150209_16_37_38_Pro.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  140.3 KBName:  WP_20150209_16_38_08_Pro.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  208.8 KBName:  WP_20150209_16_39_09_Pro.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  152.6 KB

I just bought these today at a thrift shop near my house. They usually have the best stuff.
    I found a very rare Seiko Astronaut in good condition for $8 among some other watches I've since sold.
    The Dufonte is keeping good time. I buffed some deep scratches from the crystal. When I saw it in the glass case I was hoping it was an Eberhard mainly because of that swirly thing in the logo/name.
    The second is a 1960s (I think) Marcel Boucher wind up. It has a Yema movement in it and I STUPIDLY pushed on the stem and broke it.
    The Marcel looks interesting and a lot nicer since I cleaned up most of the leather. Does anyone know the Yema movement so I can maybe get a new stem??
    Name:  WP_20150209_20_46_23_Pro.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  321.9 KBName:  WP_20150209_20_48_12_Pro.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  260.4 KBName:  WP_20150209_20_51_10_Pro.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  397.5 KBName:  WP_20150209_20_52_25_Pro.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  373.3 KB

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Re: Help identifying vintage Bulova, Dufonte, and Marcel Boucher?

Hi a lovely trio you have there!
    The Bulova is a 1944 'Alderman', and came on a leather strap originally.
    Here is an advert.

http://www.mybulova.com/sites/defaul..._AD_1942_4.jpg
    Dr.Fu Manchu and JP71624 like this.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Here is info on the Dufonte name.
    Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

Marcel Boucher is of more interest.
    He apprenticed under Cartier as a designer in New York, and eventually started his own company in 1937.
    Better known for his Art Deco jewelry, which fetch good prices still, he worked a lot in silver. I think I see a tiny hallmark on the lower pic of the watch back, just under the bottom left edge of the movement.
    This is a nice quality piece, and don't lose the original strap, which may have a silver buckle too!
    Hope someone helps with the movement, as I can't find anyrhing on them apart from being French made.
    Last edited by bobbee; February 10th, 2015 at 11:00.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi
    Three nice pieces.
    The Marcel Boucher, most interesting.
    Movement is market YEMA, a fairly old and established company, you can find more on them here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yema

Also some more info I dug up:

Yema, this formerly French brand was actually a Seiko sub-brand between 1988 and 2005.

Yema was started by Henry Louis Belmont in Besanēon France in 1948. It was a fairly popular brand in France in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s; and had both consumer and military sales, including French space missions. Interestingly enough, it was still used for that purpose even after having been purchased by Seiko. Here’s an early 1980s Yema Spationaute, and a late 1980s Yema Spacionaute III (images are from a ForumMontres summary of Yema watches in space missions). You can see that the brand was utilizing Seiko movements even before their purchase by the firm.

There were many fairly famous earlier models from Yema, although they are certainly much more well known in France than here in North America. In fact, Yema were producing 500,000 watches per year by the late 1960s, and 1.3 million per year by the late 1970s, although by that time quartz was a large component of their production.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: Yema – an (ex) Seiko sub-brand declares bankrupty Ā» Seiko Champion

Enjoy your pieces
    adam
    Dr.Fu Manchu likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Banned

Fascinating info on the history of Yema Adam, really interesting.
    Do you know which stem fits the Yema movement in the OP's Marcel Boucherer?

Cheers, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Here is info on the Dufonte name.
    Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

Marcel Boucher is of more interest.
    He apprenticed under Cartier as a designer in New York, and eventually started his own company in 1937.
    Better known for his Art Deco jewelry, which fetch good prices still, he worked a lot in silver. I think I see a tiny hallmark on the lower pic of the watch back, just under the bottom left edge of the movement.
    This is a nice quality piece, and don't lose the original strap, which may have a silver buckle too!
    Hope someone helps with the movement, as I can't find anyrhing on them apart from being French made.
    Thank you for the info! I thought my thread was going to die and become buried.
    The Marcel Boucher did interest me the most when I saw it, mainly because it looked different.
    Regarding the hallmark, all I see is an upside down teardrop shape followed by an "N" and then a "Y" near where the stem would go.
    I couldn't find the hallmark you were referring to. I tried looking on the buckle but I couldn't find anything either.
    The Marcel watch is a women's watch right? It looks like a women's watch but has more of a men's size to it.

Looks ladies to me.
    A
    Dr.Fu Manchu likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

1959 advert YEMA
    Dr.Fu Manchu likes this.

and
    Adam

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, since the Marcel Boucher has a (french) Yema movement, it should not come as much of a surprise that it's actually a (french) Lorsa movement:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Lorsa 8F

The winding stem you want is W3121 (Flume parts catalogue number). The Dufonte has a Fontainemelon (FHF) movement in it, something close to this:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 96

Hartmut Richter
    bobbee and Dr.Fu Manchu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Well, since the Marcel Boucher has a (french) Yema movement, it should not come as much of a surprise that it's actually a (french) Lorsa movement:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Lorsa 8F

The winding stem you want is W3121 (Flume parts catalogue number). The Dufonte has a Fontainemelon (FHF) movement in it, something close to this:

Hartmut Richter
    Impressive
    Great work
    adam

and
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information