Help identifying vintage Girard Perregaux watch

Thread: Help identifying vintage Girard Perregaux watch

Help identifying vintage Girard Perregaux watch

I came across this watch when my aunt passed away and was curious if I could get some help from the experts on this site identifying the watch. It's a wind up watch and looks like the hands had illuminating material in them at one point. Thanks guys Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  110.6 KBName:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  111.4 KB

Re: Help identifying vintage Girard Perregaux watch

Hi,

Very nice looking watch you show us. Girard Perregaux is a well respected brand with a long history. This watch dates to around the 1940's and I think it would have a 17 jewel movement but we can only tell if you can get the caseback off and show us some pictures. If you don't feel confident about that you should let a watchmaker do it. Others may know more and here is something on the company that made this...

Girard-Perregaux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards,

Re: Help identifying vintage Girard Perregaux watch

Thanks for the info James. That helped me narrow it down a bit on the age. I don't have the tools. One of these days I'll go to a watchmaker to get some pictures of the movement. My only worry is that the luminescent material on the hands has degraded, so much so that it stained the face. I've been reading about this material from this era and am afraid to open the back if it is actually radium since it can cause health issues. Does anyone else have any input on the model of my watch? Thanks guys

Thread Information