Help identifying a vintage Relide mechanical watch!!!

Thread: Help identifying a vintage Relide mechanical watch!!!

Help identifying a vintage Relide mechanical watch!!!

Hi

I recently recieved a mechanical watch from my father. It belonged to his father who wore it during WWII.

It is a Relide "monarch" appears to be gold plated stainless steel. It is 17 jewels and sates it is waterproof swiss made, antimagnetic incabloc, stainless steel back, with 1152RF stamped on the case.

The face is decorated with a checkered dial, with small rectangular diamonds at the 12, 3, 6 and 9, and smaller rubies at the other hours. The minute and Hours hands also are also covered in rubies.

the face has Relide monarch written on it, and 17 jewels, incabloc and nivafoex spring written underneath.

I would much apreciate it if someone could help me indentify this watch and provide some info about it. I have looked all over the internet and am unable to learn anything about it.

thanks

jacob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by jacobbrown; January 22nd, 2010 at 11:37. Reason: added movement pics

Re: Help identifying a vintage Relide mechanical watch!!!

I don't really know anything about Relide, other than it was a Swiss brand that belonged to Walter Triebold:

FABRIQUE D'HORLOGERIE RELIDE S.A. WALTER TRIEBOLD

http://www.altivotimepieces.com/vintage/id90.html

It seems to have been a brand sold mainly in the US,but I could be wrong on that. There is a bit of a connection with Wakmann:

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/04/07/ob...o-wakmann.html

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9...gTnvuz1DQ&cd=7

A picture or two - especially of the movement - would be useful.

Attached Images Attached Images

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

The style of the dial, case and caseback, and the 17 jewel shockproofed specification, leads me to think that this watch was made post-war, probably mid/late 1950s. While this may be your grandfather's watch, it is probably not the one he wore during the war.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree. With a date window and style of hands it's possible it's from the early 1960s.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

there isnt a date window in the dial, but i guess what you say could be true

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Just noticed you added a movement shot. That helps a lot. This looks like an ETA 1080 (or a Swiss/French contemporary of similar design). It's definitely no earlier than the mid/late 1950s.

hi, i have a very similar watch in silver the face has same stones and naming, backing drifferent layout but similar details mine has been enscribed and dated the date is 06/08/55 how long before that the watched was produced im not sure looking into this myself if you have found anymore on the watch to fill in age or any detail would be gratefull!!
    thanks

I've just come across another thats very similar to this, I'm considering purchasing it at auction, but I don't know anything about it. I assume they are rubies and diamonds? I've got to go and have a good look at it, wondering if case is possibly solid gold as well.... Any one want to take a stab at value?

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 3.16.40 PM.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  30.6 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I'm sorry but we don't give valuations here since it is difficult to give accurate ones - too many factors at play. On the basis of the first one (stainless steel back, common generic movement), I doubt that it is gold, that the stones are real rubies and diamonds (or are at best industrial ones) and that it is worth much more than any other watch of similar age with that movement. And if you hunt around fleabay, you should be able to get an estimate of the value of those pretty quickly.....

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information