Help With Identifying Vintage Timex Watch!
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help With Identifying Vintage Timex Watch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink Help With Identifying Vintage Timex Watch!

Hi,

First time posting!

Beginning to collect Vintage Timex watches…multiple reasons to start this hobby…I’m looking forward to growing my collection and being part of this forum to help guide me through!

I picked up this Timex Automatic (see pictures below)—pretty good condition—date display, Spiedel “twist” band, etc.

Name:  watch1.jpeg
Views: 805
Size:  109.8 KBName:  watch2.jpeg
Views: 812
Size:  99.9 KBName:  watch3.jpeg
Views: 815
Size:  83.8 KB

Unlike most of the other Timex watches I have obtained—there are no numbers showing at the bottom of the watch face at 6 o’clock identifying the model, movement & year. IMO, I believe this is a Viscount from 1974 or 1975 with an M32 movement. The “fabric” look of the watch face seems similar to other ones I have seen in online photos that seem to place it as I have. I have not seen any other photos with the “distinct” watch face markers found on this watch.

I am looking for any “confirmation” on the model of this watch. Let me know if you have any questions or need better pix to identify. I have not opened up the watch case. Thanks in advance.
    bsshog40 likes this.

Re: Help With Identifying Vintage Timex Watch!

Very nice watch, and welcome to the Vintage Forum. I'm sure our resident Timex experts will be along with their comments.

In the meantime, this may help you, either now or with your future collecting: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Budget...Identification

Regards.

Thanks for the link, balaton. You've helped me with a similar ID issue. Still not entirely sure but i can date it between 1950 - 60 by the movement. It seems to be a Petite but looks more like a boys' watch. Whatever the case, I'm one step closer to solving my little puzzle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleintime View Post
    Thanks for the link, balaton. You've helped me with a similar ID issue. Still not entirely sure but i can date it between 1950 - 60 by the movement. It seems to be a Petite but looks more like a boys' watch. Whatever the case, I'm one step closer to solving my little puzzle.
    Thanks for the information--this one still seems to be a mystery though!

It is similar in measurement & look to the Timex 46750-03274 model:
    • 36mm casing inc. crown . lug - lug 40.5mm. 30mm crystal & 28.5mm dial.
    • Fits a 16.5mm band--which may be a little small but still considered a man's watch; the extra "metal" around the lugs most likely results in the smaller band size needed?

The lack of numbers showing at the bottom of the watch face may lead to thinking it is a watch from the 50's/early 60's, but I understand that Timex did not start putting "Water Resistant" on the watch face until 1971. So that would date it from from then at the earliest up to the mid-late 70's.

The similarity to the above noted model would suggest 1974--I have yet to see a watch face in any photo similar to this one. I may have to open the watch up at one point to see if there are any identification markers inside!

At least this is a good introduction to the hobby! I do appreciate the info!

The only numbers on the movement is the movement number. The numbers you want on the dial may be under the ring that sits between the dial and crystal that presses down on the movement. The crystal would need to be removed and the ring lifted off(actually will probably just fall off).
    Timex watches are no fun to remove and replace crystals on, at least in my experiences. If you do try it be extremely careful or you may damage the hands when the crystal finally does come free. Ask me how I know.

That is a 70's model. Pop the back off, there may be a two digit number stamped in ink on the case back, that will give you the year of manufacture.

I would put it solidly in the Viscount camp.
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
    I love deals on watches!

Quote Originally Posted by oldhawkeye View Post
    The only numbers on the movement is the movement number. The numbers you want on the dial may be under the ring that sits between the dial and crystal that presses down on the movement. The crystal would need to be removed and the ring lifted off(actually will probably just fall off).
    Timex watches are no fun to remove and replace crystals on, at least in my experiences. If you do try it be extremely careful or you may damage the hands when the crystal finally does come free. Ask me how I know.
    The watch is in pretty good shape and runs ok...so I would definitely be afraid to start taking it apart! It does look like, as you say, that those numbers are "hidden" under the ring holding in the crystal...just my luck! One day I may get adventurous and open it up! Thanks for the info...btw...how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by ManOnTime View Post
    That is a 70's model. Pop the back off, there may be a two digit number stamped in ink on the case back, that will give you the year of manufacture.

I would put it solidly in the Viscount camp.
    For sure...seems like a 1970's era Viscount from the others I have seen online (1974/1975 is my feeling)!

I may take the back off...but as was mentioned above, the numbers may actually be at the bottom of the watch face but under the ring holding in the crystal...which means a lot of moving parts...and parts that fall out! So since it is in pretty good shape and runs...I will leave well enough alone at this time! Thanks for the advice/info!

Quote Originally Posted by canconcomp View Post
    For sure...seems like a 1970's era Viscount from the others I have seen online (1974/1975 is my feeling)!

I may take the back off...but as was mentioned above, the numbers may actually be at the bottom of the watch face but under the ring holding in the crystal...which means a lot of moving parts...and parts that fall out! So since it is in pretty good shape and runs...I will leave well enough alone at this time! Thanks for the advice/info!
    I have a few Viscounts in my collection, spanning from the 1950s to 1970s. They came in a pretty large variety of dial designs.

It's not really too difficult to remove the crystal. Just use a quality lift, and have patience and go slow and you'll do fine.

Sent via two tin cans and a length of string.
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
    I love deals on watches!

Before following the link above a putzing around a bit, I thought my puzzle was more modern. Not only was there no model number on the dial, it's very clean and in beautiful condition. While small enough to be a ladies' watch, it really looks more like a boys'. Here's the address to the thread I posted in: https://forums.watchuseek.com/#/topics/77118
    The pics are certainly not in the order I had taken them in, but I think the description is ample enough to make it clear which is which. Any time and info on your part is greatly appreciated. It is my only "Made in the USA" out of my budding collection (40+) thusfar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information