Help identifying vintage woman's diamond Hamilton watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HamiltonElectric

Thread: Help identifying vintage woman's diamond Hamilton watch

Help identifying vintage woman's diamond Hamilton watch

Hey WUSers,
    Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong forum section. If anyone has any information pertaining to my late grandmother's Hamilton watch, that would be awesome. It is in mint condition, as my grandmother only wore it on a few special occasions. The watch has been in its box for more than 20 years. On the box and the caseback of the watch it says 14K Gold as well. If I had to guess, I believe it's from the 1950s or 1960s. I browsed through old Hamilton catalogs and couldn't find the exact model.
    Thanks!
    Album: Vintage Hamilton Watch - Album on Imgur

Name:  KCK2Jel.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  572.6 KB
    Last edited by PoorManExpensiveTaste; August 21st, 2015 at 23:05.

Re: Help identifying vintage woman's diamond Hamilton watch

Ladies' diamond watches are pretty challenging to identify.

That dial design, with the H logo in the lower part, first appears in the catalogs in 1960. Yours probably dates to the late 60s, based on the box. After 1969 all Hamilton watches had Swiss movements, which was marked on the dials.

From 1960 to 1964 the high-end diamond watches were cataloged separately from the regular line. Only a few watches, typically platinum, are cataloged with diamond-pavé band, however such bands were offered separately for use on watches that were normally sold with cord bands.

In that era these were grouped into 'series' such as Luxury, Admiration, Magnificent etc. Within each series the different styles were designated by letter(s), e.g. "Magnificent R", "Admiration NN", "Allure H" and so on.

Hamilton also offered custom cases which could be special-ordered: "Under this program jewelers may recommend that a customer have her diamonds set in a stock case, or -- as happens in many instances -- a special, one-of-a-kind design may be drawn to the customer's specifications, incorporating items of outdated jewelry into a strikingly modern case. The watch case division now has about 200 stock case styles, each style having individualized end ornaments. The possible combinations of cases and end ornaments is, therefore, almost infinite and is limited only by the imagination." [bold added]

As I said, challenging!

Re: Help identifying vintage woman's diamond Hamilton watch

Ah, I see. Thanks! Yeah, I was going through the 1960 catalogs to no avail. Didn't realize that there was the off-chance that it's custom ordered.

It's a 14K case but the design (especially the diamond band) looks more similar to the platinum models than the 14K or 10K ones. I wonder if he ordered the diamond band separate from Hamilton, as it seems that mostly the platinum models got them (and the others with the cords, as you said).

Thread Information