• 1 Post By Freshlyjuiced
  • 2 Post By bobbee
  • 2 Post By Apollonaught
  • 2 Post By bobbee
  • 1 Post By Freshlyjuiced
  • 1 Post By Apollonaught

Thread: Help identifying a watch

Help identifying a watch

First I would like to say that although I am a first time poster, I have been lurking in these forums for the past couple of years. I really appreciate all the information and insight I've gleaned from these threads and have made two watch purchases based on what I've learned here. I am currently the proud owner of a Seiko 5 Sports (first mechanical watch), my great grandfathers Timex Self-wind (saved from going to goodwill, circa 1959), and also a Seiko 6139 ("Pogue" circa 1976). I hope to own an Omega Speedmaster Professional someday but that's a conversation for another day.

The reason I'm positing is to get some insight on a watch I picked up this past weekend. It's an obvious "homage" to a Cartier Tank, but I can't seem to find any information about the watch based on its markings. The dial appears to be enamel with the l/L/S F A below the 12 position, SWISS below the six position, and has blue hands. The case back is plain with the exception of a five digit number. The crown has a blue stone/glass cabochon. The inside of the case back is marked "S. KOCHER SWISS" and has a three digit number on the outside rim. The movement is marked "17 JEWELS SEVENTEEN S. KOCHER UNADJUSTED SWISS."

Based on my research, my best guess is that this is a generic homage tank watch circa 1950s. I'm curious to know how close my guess might be and would really appreciate any insight you all can give.

Thanks for your help,

Justin
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt likes this.

Re: Help identifying a watch

Sorry, but I don't know much about your watch, all I can say is it's a nice man's dress watch in a classic style with a good looking 17 jewel movement, I'd get it serviced and wear it.

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

S. Kocher is Sylvan Kocher Co. also of the Eska Watch Co. of Grenchen, Switzerland.
    Movement looks like the ETA 2512-1, 7.75''', that will date your watch between 1975-1983.

Cheers, Bob.

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?sit...rk#sucheMarker

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA 2512-1
    Last edited by bobbee; July 23rd, 2015 at 10:20. Reason: correcting the links
    Apollonaught and busmatt like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Agree with Matt,a nice mens dress watch from the 60`s ties,the movement is a Eta something in the 25xx series,probably the 2512.I would add the initials under 12`oclock will be that of the jeweler/retailer and not the maker.Nice watch,wear it in good health.

:EDIT
    Seems my reply bounced off some space junk in the upper atmosphere....either that or i was too slow.
    Bobbee nailed it,2512-1 given away by the hairspring clip so pushing the date into 80`s.
    Last edited by Apollonaught; July 23rd, 2015 at 10:47.
    bobbee and busmatt like this.
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonaught View Post
    Agree with Matt,a nice mens dress watch from the 60`s ties,the movement is a Eta something in the 25xx series,probably the 2512.I would add the initials under 12`oclock will be that of the jeweler/retailer and not the maker.Nice watch,wear it in good health.

:EDIT
    Seems my reply bounced off some space junk in the upper atmosphere....either that or i was too slow.
    Bobbee nailed it,i confirmed it.

Great minds dude, great minds...

I at first thought the 2512, but the click is different, as is the escape wheel jewel mount and the shock resist holder.
    Apollonaught and busmatt like this.

Thanks for your help! I think it may be a women's watch because it's fairly small. I'm not sure that makes a difference in the indentification but I'm sorry I didn't include that info in the original post.

Thanks again,

Justin
    Apollonaught likes this.

Yes at that size a ladies watch,..................ever thought of starting a thread on one your seiko`s?I myself like seikos and i`m sure i`m not alone.
    busmatt likes this.
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

Thread Information