Help Identifying a Watch

Thread: Help Identifying a Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Identifying a Watch

Hi everyone,

I need help in identifying the movement that is used in a certain watch. It belongs to my father and he has owned it for about 17 years.

It stopped working last month and we assumed the battery was dead, had it replaced but its still not working. After much reading, it seems the movement may have jammed/clogged up so I need to order a replacement.

Here are the bits of info/markings on the watch:

Back Cover:
    GENOA

ROTARY
    SINCE

REF: 10442 BATT:364
    SWISS MADE
    Inside Back Cover:
    PA
    On the actual watch movement, there is a silver cylinder labelled KDS7H

Other markings on the back of the movement include:
    SEVEN
    7 JEWLES

R/T

M

SWISS
    V8
    The battery it uses is a AG1 Button Cell.

Here is a picture of the watch:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by WatchLove1; August 19th, 2010 at 22:49.

Re: Help Identifying a Watch

I don't know much about the watch except, it's definitely a Rotary, Genoa is most likely the model name. Battery driven movements aren't an area of interest so I'll defer to other commentators.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    I don't know much about the watch except, it's definitely a Rotary, Genoa is most likely the model name. Battery driven movements aren't an area of interest so I'll defer to other commentators.
    Hi nsmike,

Thanks for your reply :)

I have been searching for the last hour for any watch manufacture with "Genoa" but have had absolutely no luck.

Really hoping someone can help, the watch has a lot of sentimental value to my father.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The company name is Rotary here's a similar current model Rotary Ladies Gold-plated Case Watch - LB02473/07 | Rotary Watches and a link to the Wikipedia entry on Rotary Rotary Watches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As Mike said, the brand is Rotary. They have been around for quite a while.

Given the 7 jewels, it is probably an Eta or ESA quartz movement. It uses a 364 battery which is also known as a SR621SW.

The silver cylinder is probably the quartz crystal and the KDS7H is probably the manufacturer's model number.

Somewhere on the edge of the baseplate of the movemnt will be the movement number -- something like 922.521 or the like. This should be all you need to order a replacement that will fit. (That actual movement is probably not still made... but it might still be available. If not, some other movement will fit.)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    The company name is Rotary here's a similar current model Rotary Ladies Gold-plated Case Watch - LB02473/07 | Rotary Watches and a link to the Wikipedia entry on Rotary Rotary Watches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thank you so much! I thought Rotary was only the movement type and so didn't put much through into looking for "Rotary"

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    As Mike said, the brand is Rotary. They have been around for quite a while.

Given the 7 jewels, it is probably an Eta or ESA quartz movement. It uses a 364 battery which is also known as a SR621SW.

The silver cylinder is probably the quartz crystal and the KDS7H is probably the manufacturer's model number.

Somewhere on the edge of the baseplate of the movemnt will be the movement number -- something like 922.521 or the like. This should be all you need to order a replacement that will fit. (That actual movement is probably not still made... but it might still be available. If not, some other movement will fit.)
    Hi Eeeb,

Thank you for all that information :)

I have had a very good look but I don't see any number like 922.521. When you say base plate, do you mean at the back of the movement or on the actual watch face but on the back?

Assuming this particular movement is no longer available, what can I use as a substitute?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchLove1 View Post
    Hi Eeeb,

Thank you for all that information :)

I have had a very good look but I don't see any number like 922.521. When you say base plate, do you mean at the back of the movement or on the actual watch face but on the back?

Assuming this particular movement is no longer available, what can I use as a substitute?
    Looking from the battery side, the baseplate is the bottom piece of metal to which the dial is attached. It serves as the base to which all other components are mounted.

When swapping movements there are 3 factors to consider.

1. dimensions -diameter and thickness
    2. position of dial feet - they seem to be different to an extreme that I can not explain (dial feet are small pegs that fit into holes on the movement)
    3. diameter of hands - if you want to keep the original hands, they need to fit onto the movement

A good watchmaker will swap a movement for about the cost of a service for a mechanical movement.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Looking from the battery side, the baseplate is the bottom piece of metal to which the dial is attached. It serves as the base to which all other components are mounted.

When swapping movements there are 3 factors to consider.

1. dimensions -diameter and thickness
    2. position of dial feet - they seem to be different to an extreme that I can not explain (dial feet are small pegs that fit into holes on the movement)
    3. diameter of hands - if you want to keep the original hands, they need to fit onto the movement

A good watchmaker will swap a movement for about the cost of a service for a mechanical movement.
    Hi Eeeb,

Thanks again for all the info, very useful!

How much would I be looking to pay as a guide? I live in central London.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchLove1 View Post
    Hi Eeeb,

Thanks again for all the info, very useful!

How much would I be looking to pay as a guide? I live in central London.
    What he needs to do is to take off the hands and dial and refit it to the new movement. Do You have a suitable replacement movement already? You can't just take any Quartz. If You do, however, it shouldn't take a watchmaker more than an hour to do that. Whatever that costs in London - I would guess around 80-100 GBP. Plus the movement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information