Help identifying this watch please!

Thread: Help identifying this watch please!

Help identifying this watch please!

Mens EXTRA FANCY 1940's JAEGER - LeCOULTRE Vintage BEAUTIFUL Watch RETRO CAR | eBay
    Thanks in advance! [link removed by moderator - no point in promoting ripoff artists]
    Last edited by Eeeb; October 18th, 2011 at 07:57.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Help identifying this watch please!

I'm not sure what it is that you want identified. The seller clearly states that the case is new and the dial is repainted (ie new), so it's a new watch with an old calibre inserted in it.

That is an appalling Ukranian pocket watch conversion with a bogus dial. An abomination representing the purest form of watch-junk available on the 'bay.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

At best, it's a recase of a franken pocketwatch (note how the finish on the plates is different). I'm inclined to think there's some shilling going on with that bid, as I can't imagine any sane person spending that kind of money for a what amounts to a vintage movement (since the seller admits the case and dial are new). Even real JLC's don't go for that kind of money. Here's a pocketwatch version (probably real) that they could have bought: VINTAGE JAEGER LE COULTRE MILITARY POCKETWATCH | eBay

Then they'd have about $2000 to have their own case and dial custom made (and probably out of solid gold).

Heck, if there's really that much money in it, I may start buying old JLC pocketwatches and recasing them myself...Ah, who am I kidding, I have this annoying thing called pride...
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

The ability to sell Soviet garbage, and that includes the fake movement, for over 2,5K$ is amazing!

Hi Rob,

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I can't imagine any sane person spending that kind of money for a what amounts to....
    You're probably right. But a reasonable fraction of menkind believes that there is a certain tiny percentage of insane people.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Soviet? Really? I've been looking at JLC pocket watches on the 'Bay, and there's a lot of military WWII models that look legit (mostly from UK sellers, natch) and are nearly spot on identical to this one. This one does look oddly crisp, and doesn't have a model number near the balance, but still...thats a great deal of customizing to make a soviet pocket watch a plate-for-plate match like this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information