Help identifying whats wrong with an Omega Pocket Watch

Thread: Help identifying whats wrong with an Omega Pocket Watch

Help identifying whats wrong with an Omega Pocket Watch

I know absolutely nothing about pocket watches, I found this one a while ago and sadly its non-functional. As I know nothing please bear with my potentially primitive description of whats wrong! I have taken some pictures of the mechanism which will hopefully help.

When I turn the dial at the top anti-clockwise, it clicks and nothing appears to happen, when I turn the dial clockwise the 2 silver cogs, turn but thats it. The gold "spindle" underneath the decorated plate where the lever sits, which appears to be weighted, sometimes moves. Thats about it really. I apologise for my pathetic grasp of the workings of a pocket watch!

Name:  DSCN0369 - resize.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  161.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0368 - resize.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  110.4 KB

Re: Help identifying whats wrong with an Omega Pocket Watch

When you turn the "crown" clockwise, you're winding the watch. Anti-clockwise does nothing. If the "balance" sometimes moves your watch might just need cleaning and service.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It sounds as if you have a broken mainspring. The anticlockwise turning of the crown (not dial) will only produce a clicking sound on almost any functional watch (I won't go into the few exceptions at this stage). If the clockwise winding turns the transmission and mainspring wheels but doesn't wind the watch, the most likely option would be that the mainspring is bust. It is one of the simpler things to fix in a watch. Once it is repaired and the watch is wound, the "spindle" (it is actually the balance wheel) will madly turn to and fro to give the timing impulse for the watch.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you both for your help. If it is the mainspring, do you have any idea of how much it would cost to get repaired?

Thanks again
    Joe

You would want to get an estimate; it's a pretty simple watch to work on, and parts aren't that hard to come by. The basic COA (Clean, Oil and Adjustment) costs range from $50 to $250 depending on where you live; check the AWCI website or your local NAWCC chapter if you're in the states (the BHI website might help if you're in europe). Parts (and the extra time required to source and install them) would be extra, and can very depending on (again) your location, and which part is broken. Mainsprings are pretty simple to source, winding parts are a bit harder.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    You would want to get an estimate; it's a pretty simple watch to work on, and parts aren't that hard to come by. The basic COA (Clean, Oil and Adjustment) costs range from $50 to $250 depending on where you live; check the AWCI website or your local NAWCC chapter if you're in the states (the BHI website might help if you're in europe). Parts (and the extra time required to source and install them) would be extra, and can very depending on (again) your location, and which part is broken. Mainsprings are pretty simple to source, winding parts are a bit harder.
    Mainspring for this watch is possible to source, and so is the balance staff. Unfortunately, other parts are not available unless a "donor" movement is found. Good news is that it sounds like this watch may only need a basic service + a new mainspring. Looking at the movement, it is a 15 jewel Calibre Omega, 19 ligne or possibly 18. I much prefer this movement to 40.6.

Thank you to everyone for your help!

I'll hopefully be getting estimate soon.

Thread Information