Help identifying a Zenith and an Altus vintage watches.

Thread: Help identifying a Zenith and an Altus vintage watches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identifying a Zenith and an Altus vintage watches.

I live in Norway and sometimes people sell expensive watches, and other things, for cheap because they do not understand what it is. Both of these were sold for a little under 2 dollars each. They definitely are not fakes because of the quality, serial numbers and mainly because they are vintage. I wondered if someone here can identify these for me? Have read a little bit about Altus, but did not find anything about this exact model (or similar watch). I almost forgot to add that the Altus watch was "serviced" by some amateur. Both are in running condition. Do not mind my sig, I just guessed the Zenith was from 1960s. Going to edit it afterwards.

Name:  DSC00463.JPG
Views: 310
Size:  196.4 KBName:  DSC00464.JPG
Views: 289
Size:  201.2 KBName:  DSC00465.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  207.0 KBName:  DSC00466.JPG
Views: 279
Size:  198.4 KB
    Swiss: Zenith (1950s)
    Russian: 2 Modded Vostok Amphibian
    German: Steinhart Vintage GMT
    Asian: Orient Star Retrograde SDE00002B0, Custom Tiger Submariner, Orient Orange Ray, Casio G-Shock G353B-1AV, Seiko Type 2 Quartz

Re: Help identifying a Zenith and an Altus vintage watches.

A guesstimate:

Altus,as you might already know was acquired by Glycine Watches SA in Aug 1963.It was incorporated but the Altus name was dropped except some manufacture and marking on the watch-boxes.

I see in the Glycine serial numbers book,the number: 295279 was manufactured on 28 Jan 1966 and 2500 pieces were made,they were casing 8,3/4 lignes AS 970 movement.But the information is scratched with a line whole way from left to right of the edges of the book,maybe indicating that it's Altus not Glycine???Or cancelled manufacture order,not sure.A movement shot would definitely help.

$2 each... Where is my Prozac :D
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Funny, I could swear that we have had a Zenith with "Stötsäker" on the case back on this forum before. Apparently, it means "Shockproof" so it is no personalized engraving. However, it seems strange that Zenith would add this (maybe for export purposes?!) so it may well have been added by the end vendor.

The watch is more likely from the 1950s, though (or even the very late forties), and I would guess that it houses a Zenith Cal. 106.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    A guesstimate:

Altus,as you might already know was acquired by Glycine Watches SA in Aug 1963.It was incorporated but the Altus name was dropped except some manufacture and marking on the watch-boxes.

I see in the Glycine serial numbers book,the number: 295279 was manufactured on 28 Jan 1966 and 2500 pieces were made,they were casing 8,3/4 lignes AS 970 movement.But the information is scratched with a line whole way from left to right of the edges of the book,maybe indicating that it's Altus not Glycine???Or cancelled manufacture order,not sure.A movement shot would definitely help.
    Got both opened :)

Name:  DSC00467.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  204.2 KBName:  DSC00468.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  208.0 KBName:  DSC00469.JPG
Views: 246
Size:  172.3 KB

There is some sort of a logo on the Altus. It says "F" in the middle and there is "391" to the right of it. There were no other serial numbers or anything else besides that.
    Asian: Orient Star Retrograde SDE00002B0, Custom Tiger Submariner, Orient Orange Ray, Casio G-Shock G353B-1AV, Seiko Type 2 Quartz

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    $2 each... Where is my Prozac :D
    It was just another old, ugly and broken watch to the seller

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Funny, I could swear that we have had a Zenith with "Stötsäker" on the case back on this forum before. Apparently, it means "Shockproof" so it is no personalized engraving. However, it seems strange that Zenith would add this (maybe for export purposes?!) so it may well have been added by the end vendor.

The watch is more likely from the 1950s, though (or even the very late forties), and I would guess that it houses a Zenith Cal. 106.

Hartmut Richter
    I am pretty confident that "Stötsäker" is in Swedish. It would make sense that it was in Sweden before it got to Norway. I live a few hundred kilometers away from the border between Norway and Sweden.

Well then my guesstimate was wrong.Actually I thought also that 1966 is a late period to have sub-seconds,but you never know.In this case it was a cancelled production in Glycine book and it's not related with your watch.

Since you've mentioned the F 391,it would be Felsa 391 movement with a different bridge configuration of Ranfft's example,also yours has a center jewel and another extra somewhere else making it 17 jewels: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AM 391 (Felsa 391)

I am really interested in the Zenith. Does anybody know anything about it?

I'm not good with caliber determination and wist watches but this should be a Zenith 126-p. 26,75 cm and 3,8 mm high. 18.000 amplitude buid between 1947 - 1956. Depending on your movementnumber this one was build around 1953.

Kind regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information