Help identifying Zenith watch movement

Thread: Help identifying Zenith watch movement

Help identifying Zenith watch movement

I bought this Zenith movement(as it's looks good and clean),but I am lack of knowledges about the movement, hope someone could help me to identify the it, so I could seach for the case and stem able to bringing it back to life if I found.Name:  zenith1.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  244.1 KBName:  zenith2.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  277.3 KB

Re: Help identifying Zenith watch movement

I'm no expert but it does look like a Zenith 18.28 (had to confirm with Ranfft.de). bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Zenith 18.28.1.P.E

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The exact specifications depend on the exact size. The pocket watch calibres ranging from ca. 10''' (22mm) to 22''' (50mm) all looked rather similar. The specifications may be under the balance wheel. What is the diameter of the visible part of the movement?

The movement serial number suggests that it was cased in the french dependence of Zenith (in Besancon), set up in 1923. The low serial number points to a production in the mid twenties.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    The exact specifications depend on the exact size. The pocket watch calibres ranging from ca. 10''' (22mm) to 22''' (50mm) all looked rather similar. The specifications may be under the balance wheel. What is the diameter of the visible part of the movement?

The movement serial number suggests that it was cased in the french dependence of Zenith (in Besancon), set up in 1923. The low serial number points to a production in the mid twenties.

Hartmut Richter

Hartmut Richter,

the movement is 38mm diameter of the visible part.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

That would make it difficult! The most likely size including the hidden lip on the base plate (add about 1mm either side, i.e. 2mm in total) would be around 40mm. However, I cannot find a movement with that bridge arrangement and that fine adjustment (most of them have a more elaborate one, as shown in Ranfft) of that size. The 17''' E.P.V.S. would be identical but it is only 38.1mm; the next one up is the 19''' N.V.I but that is a socking 43.15mm! Other movements are of the right size but have the snail cam fine adjustment. My guess is that you rounded up a little bit and that it is the 17''' E.P.V.S.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information