Help in IDing or Details on this Vintage Watch
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AbslomRob
  • 1 Post By cd1963

Thread: Help in IDing or Details on this Vintage Watch

Help in IDing or Details on this Vintage Watch

Hi All,
    I am a "bit of a watch guy", have a IWC Portuguese for a daily and a Suunto Core Stainless Steel for a weekend/adventure watch. However, my real love is Vintage Rotary Mazda cars so finding this has really made my year. I've researched as much as I can on the net and know the movement is a Baumgartner 158 which was fairly common in Sicura and Sicura "brand" watches in the mid 70's. This also ties in with the Mazda logo which was used from 1968-77" This isn't working but I've found a working donor on ebay which is on the way.

So, I have a few questions.
    1) Is this a Sicura branded watch or something else? How do you tell?
    2) Whats up with the strap pins? Has anyone seen this style before? One is certainly homemade after its been lost the other "looks" fairly original. A straight pin wouldn't fit and a curved pin would need a fairly decent bend to fit. Gap is 27mm
    3) What sort of strap would this of originally had?

Happy to know any other info or facts.
    Cheers!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Help in IDing or Details on this Vintage Watch

This post moved.
    Duplicate post in this forum deleted. Please do not flood our fora with identical posts. One thread should do the trick. Thank you.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Try reposting this in the "vintage forum", will probably get more info there. As for the strap pins, I have seen similar, they are for use with NATO straps.

OMEGA Watches: Fine Jewellery - Introduction collection

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for that guideline and noted. Thanks for moving to vintage.
    Last edited by rotamota; May 30th, 2015 at 20:38.

Hi Seth, yeah Ive looked at that but still cant see any strap pins that suit a NATO strap looking like that. Cheers for the link.

Mikrolisk doesn't show any ties between Sicura and any Mazda trademark... And I associate Mazda more with the MX-5 than watches. But then again, not every trademark is listed in Mikrolisk. Could you please post a link to the resources used?
    The fact that Sicura used the Baumgartner 158 movement does not make every watch outfitted with it a Sicura.
    The lug bars are weird indeed. Yes, a NATO strap seems to be the only solution. But then again, a 27mm lug size would be monstrous. I wonder if there is something missing- can't find any use for the holes seen at the edges of the case, between the lugs. Weird. Very weird. Others might know more.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Probably a promotional watch sourced by some Mazda dealership. It's a relatively cheap movement compared to what comes to mind when one sees a "25 Jewel Automatic", so it was probably a giveaway item of some sort.

Based on the odd holes, I'd suspect this was originally sold with an integrated metal bracelet of some sort. These cases are difficult to put conventional straps on, because you can't use a straight spring bar. I have a similar one that I had to bend springbars to fit, and doing that makes them a bit less robust.
    busmatt likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Mikrolisk doesn't show any ties between Sicura and any Mazda trademark... And I associate Mazda more with the MX-5 than watches. But then again, not every trademark is listed in Mikrolisk. Could you please post a link to the resources used?
    The fact that Sicura used the Baumgartner 158 movement does not make every watch outfitted with it a Sicura.
    The lug bars are weird indeed. Yes, a NATO strap seems to be the only solution. But then again, a 27mm lug size would be monstrous. I wonder if there is something missing- can't find any use for the holes seen at the edges of the case, between the lugs. Weird. Very weird. Others might know more.
    Thanks for the reply, I agree the other holes don't appear to serve a purpose. They aren't threaded so they can't of been used to screw/bolt anything. I haven't taken the back off, the pics are from ebay but a sicura Baumgartner 158 will have SIC20 stamped on the movement. Unfortunately the photo is covering where this would be stamped. Will find out soon enough when it gets serviced.

My "guess" as to being a sicura is from here and here.
    Last edited by rotamota; May 31st, 2015 at 16:07.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Probably a promotional watch sourced by some Mazda dealership. It's a relatively cheap movement compared to what comes to mind when one sees a "25 Jewel Automatic", so it was probably a giveaway item of some sort.

Based on the odd holes, I'd suspect this was originally sold with an integrated metal bracelet of some sort. These cases are difficult to put conventional straps on, because you can't use a straight spring bar. I have a similar one that I had to bend springbars to fit, and doing that makes them a bit less robust.
    Thanks for the info. From what I can gather US dealerships gave these to customers when they bought a car. No one can produce a photo of one so it's all guess work. Looks like I may have to get a NATO/Military style strap. Totally agree, bending the pins is less than ideal.

I think that the strap for this watch would have been either rubber or metal with two positioning or fixing pins on each end that would go into the non-threaded holes. The metal bars shown have no structural rigidity. but they could function as a retaining spring that would clip into some sort of detent on the strap.
    Last edited by cd1963; June 4th, 2015 at 05:21.
    Apollonaught likes this.

Thread Information