Help IDing E Gubelin Lucerne
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Help IDing E Gubelin Lucerne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help IDing E Gubelin Lucerne

I found this at a yard sale last weekend and am having a difficult time finding anything similar to help ID this vintage E. Gubelin Lucerne. The case diameter is 28mm without crown. Crown appears to be aftermarket. Case back reads, "L.P. McGillen Princeton NJ." It is also marked Gubelin Swiss.

It appears the serial number is 8507. I have yet to open the case back to peek at the movement.

I am guessing 40s. Possibly military?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help IDing E Gubelin Lucerne

Quite sadly, it's a redial. No, not a military watch. The serial number is a dead end, and I think that the four-digit number is more likely to be a reference number than the serial. Pity about the replaced crown. The rather thick case with a decagonal back was likely made by Taubert, but you'd need to get the watch open and post the picture of the inner side of the case back. And of the movement, since without that, there's not much more to say.

If you don't have the tools, have a watchmaker open it.
    badbackdan likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Gubelin is a Swiss jeweler that also sold watches under their name. The watches were generally assembled from components provided by various manufacturers, and are often good quality overall. The printing on this particular dial looks shoddy to me, so I suspect it has been refinished some time in the past. There is nothing military about it whatsoever. The case-back has a personalized engraving of a previous owner. You will need to show photos of the inside if you want more information.

Edit: I see now that @mkws was replying as I was preparing this, but it looks like our opinions are consistent.
    Last edited by badbackdan; September 10th, 2017 at 01:09.
    mkws likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That is incredible. I've been searching the web for a week!

How can you tell it's a redial?

I will take it to a watchmaker on Monday?
    Thoughts on value? Nothing to really compare it to on eBay. Seems fairly rare?

If it helps. The 8507 number is between the lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Uabeck View Post

The overall quality, evenness and consistency of the writing is not what one would expect. If you spend some time looking at other Gubelin dials, I think it will be obvious.

This forum does not generally do valuations, please see the sticky thread for the reasons why. But even if I wanted to give you a value, you haven't provided enough information. I assume that the case is SS, but I don't know for sure. I don't know the size, I don't know what is inside. Etc., etc. The Gubelin name doesn't command a premium on its own merits, so you would want to compare prices with a mid-tier Swiss watch brand of similar quality, size, materials, conditions, etc. And candidly, you would need to make a hefty deduction for the poor redial.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vin...les-67379.html
    Last edited by badbackdan; September 10th, 2017 at 01:11.
    mkws likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Uabeck View Post

The overall quality, evenness and consistency of the writing is not what one would expect. If you spend some time looking at other Gubelin dials, I think it will be obvious.

This forum does not generally do valuations, please see the sticky thread for the reasons why. But even if I wanted to give you a value, you haven't provided enough information. I assume that the case is SS, but I don't know for sure. I don't know the size, I don't know what is inside. Etc., etc. The Gubelin name doesn't command a premium on its own merits, so you would want to compare prices with a mid-tier Swiss watch brand of similar quality, size, materials, conditions, etc.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vin...les-67379.html
    Badback,

Completely understand. Sorry for asking. Very thankful for the information.

I will post pictures of the movement and inner case back as soon as I can get them.

As far as the number between the lugs (8507), still think that's a model number as opposed to a serial number?

I think the 4-digit number is likely a case reference number. And I don't think that a serial number would do you much good with a Gubelin watch anyway. There are not likely to be any archives or record.
    mkws likes this.

Technically, Gubelin is still around, they have a few boutiques in Switzerland. They don't make watches of their own anymore, though. Still, I think that contacting them is worth a try - they might not have the records, but then again, if you don't ask them, you'll never know...

Another well-known Swiss retailer, Turler, doesn't have their records any longer, all were lost during the quartz crisis. Still, they were able to help me with my watch branded by them (made by Roamer for Turler).

As to the Gubelin brand and their watches, there can be anything inside this watch - from a run-of-the-mill, largely unmodified ETA or AS ebauche to something luxury or high-end (IIRC, they even bought movements from LeCoultre). Which leaves no real possibility of guessing what's inside.
    badbackdan likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Technically, Gubelin is still around, they have a few boutiques in Switzerland. They don't make watches of their own anymore, though. Still, I think that contacting them is worth a try - they might not have the records, but then again, if you don't ask them, you'll never know...

Another well-known Swiss retailer, Turler, doesn't have their records any longer, all were lost during the quartz crisis. Still, they were able to help me with my watch branded by them (made by Roamer for Turler).

As to the Gubelin brand and their watches, there can be anything inside this watch - from a run-of-the-mill, largely unmodified ETA or AS ebauche to something luxury or high-end (IIRC, they even bought movements from LeCoultre). Which leaves no real possibility of guessing what's inside.
    Thanks for the info!

I tried emailing them and have not received a response.

So, I will hopefully get this open on Monday and report back.

Thanks again guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information