Help with information on Grandad's watches

Thread: Help with information on Grandad's watches

Help with information on Grandad's watches

Hi I'm looking for some information on a couple of my Grandad's watches. Hopefully pictures below have worked! One is an Omega the other Oris. Omega was purchase in 1980. Oris was probably purchased about 20 years before that.
    Does anyone know what the models are and what their value may be? My Grandad had the Omega valued in the early 80s at £200. not been valued since and hardly worn.
    Thanks in advance!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Help with information on Grandad's watches

Moved to the more suitable forum.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Mike moved your post to Vintage where we don't do valuations. We actually have a sticky saying why. In general value is controlled by condition and the number of other people who want the watch

Clues on dating the Oris are sweep second (post late 40's), winder (pre 1970), anti-shock (post late 40's), and "waterproof" (pre-middle 60's). It has case condition issues (peeling gold plate). But it is a very usable watch (with a service).

The Omega is, strangely enough, a Geneva model The early 80s looks right for it.

Grandpa had good taste in watches! Enjoy them (but service them and they will last for your grandchildren
    Last edited by Eeeb; July 11th, 2013 at 20:48.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply. New here so wasn't aware there were quite so many different forums. I'll know for next time!
    Thanks for the info on the watches too and I appreciate the point on valuation. The Oris has survived well considering it was a workhorse for over 2 decades. The Omega was a retirement present and used more for special occasions.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

With 17 jewels, the Oris ought to have a Swiss lever movement rather than a pin lever calibre so I would expect it to be post-1966 when the restriction on them using this calibre type was lifted.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information