WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help me choose a chain for my new pocket watch! :)

664 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  GeneJockey 
#1 · (Edited)
I have bought a 1908 Waltham, white gold pocket watch, but it does not include a chain. I am new to pocket watches, and would wear one casually with jeans or khakis in the small 'fifth-pocket'. What kind of chain would match the best? It does not have to be white gold. Could steel pass? Should it be a small gauge? I would prefer something that costs less than $35. Thanks. :)

*edit:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have searched ebay. Where does the knife go? Would it just scratch the watch?
Watch Pocket watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery
Watch Pocket watch Fashion accessory Jewellery Silver
Chain Fashion accessory Jewellery Silver Silver
Chain Body jewelry Jewellery Fashion accessory Platinum

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: What would be a matching chain?

Hi
Do an Ebay search for vintage pocket watch chains (world Wide)
Choose what YOU like
A

#3 ·

I did get the Waltham! :)
Wouldn't the knife just scratch the watch? I'm confused.

#4 ·

Most people add something like a charm onto the watch chain.
i small penknife was common as a cigar cutter.
Will it scratch the watch? Possible, just remove it if you don't want.
I personally like it and have small things on all my watch chains.
Best
adam

#5 ·

My preference is to have nothing on the chain that goes into the pocket with the watch. I have several chains, some vintage, some modern. Mostly simple chains, not the 'Single Albert' or 'Double Albert' sort, with an extra short bit attached to the loop/T-bar end.

Does the color have to match? No. It's YOUR watch and YOUR chain! It only has to match if you want it to. For example, I have a couple rose gold Elgin 10s pocket watches, but no rose gold chain. So I just wear them with a yellow gold chain. For white gold watches I have a slender white gold chain, but I also have a more robust sterling silver one that I use for my sterling silver keywound, and my Hamilton model 23 in the stainless case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.