Help me choose vintage watch -- $300

Thread: Help me choose vintage watch -- $300

Help me choose vintage watch -- $300

I am in the market for a vintage watch and would love to hear what you all recommend.

Here are a few parameters:

-around $300, or less.
    -manual or automatic (I don't like quartz on principle)
    -nothing that demands a metal band (I prefer leather)

I love old Omegas, Wittnauers, Elgins, etc.

Any thoughts?

Re: Help me choose vintage watch -- $300

First you need to find out what a service (clean, oil, and adjust) costs in your area and include that in your cost. If it's $100 to $125 that reduces the price you can pay to $175 to $200. A Gold Filled or Stainless Hamilton can be found in that price range. The best movements are the 770 and 982M with the 982M being found mostly in gold watchs but it sometimes shows up in lesser cases. The 982 and 980 movements are very good also there are others but I'm not a Hamilton expert. Top Elgins can be had for similar prices the 730/750/780 hand wind movements are top notch, the 760 automatic is also very good, but it can be hard to find in good condition with parts difficult to source. Again the are othe top notch movements.

Quote Originally Posted by dsantos1 View Post
    I am in the market for a vintage watch and would love to hear what you all recommend.

Here are a few parameters:

-around $300, or less.
    -manual or automatic (I don't like quartz on principle)
    -nothing that demands a metal band (I prefer leather)

Sounds like you're on the right track! Have you checked out the vintage Rado range? They made a lovely series of Golden Star; Silver Star and Sea Horse watches as well as voyager ones.

Maybe you want something earlier than the 70's? I'm personally fond of the self-assured and understated 1930's style watches (1940's seems to be Fliegen-Uhr or militarised models mostly, and 1950 was broken back post-war economies trying to ressurect quality manufacturing). I can't seem to post images anymore, but I guess you can find a few you like and narrow down the era you're interested in.

Btw - if it's manual wind, you are more likely to get it repaired economically. If it is automatic, I'd be hesitant to buy it unless it was working. Parts can be hard to come by for discontinued models from 90 years ago lol. You could end up buying a second donor watch just to cannibalise the parts to get one working. Sorry I can't help with Omegas or the commoner posh names. I do like their Lord Elgin style though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you willing to do ebay and the research you need to make sure its not a franken(pieced together) vintage you can get a beautiful Seamaster from the 50s w or w/o date for between $250 and $300. Sometimes the listing will say the watch was just cleaned and serviced and often this is true but you have to at least consider the possibility that it may need to be checked by a watchmaker. I recently won a beautiful chunky case SM 'bumper' for $200 that needed a new crown stem which all told should be up and running for under $300. Good luck:
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Thanks for all the advice. Very helpful.

That's a beautiful omega! I've been looking at similar ones, but can't find for less than around $700....

I found a Wittnauer I'm strongly considering; I posted it in a new thread, but please let me know if you think it's worth the $200 it would probably cost.

much obliged.
    d.

Quote Originally Posted by dsantos1 View Post
    I've been looking at similar ones, but can't find for less than around $700....

I found a Wittnauer I'm strongly considering; I posted it in a new thread, but please let me know if you think it's worth the $200 it would probably cost.

much obliged.
    d.
    Check out ebay. they're there if you search. $300-$400 but many are BIN w OBO. Never hurts to offer low especially this time of year
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

I would also look at the old Omega Seamasters, I picked this one up for $300 a while ago.

This one for $200

This one for $275 but it needs a full overhaul:

I picked all of them up from ebay, they all started off from low prices and I followed them to the end of the auction. You can try bidding your max bid in the last couple of seconds.

My Collection --> Click Here

Flea Markets! That's my main resource. I found 9 watches over the holidays with two Omegas in that group, a Seamaster for $225 and a Century for $150.

Thread Information