Help me date a few of these watches.
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Help me date a few of these watches.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Help me date a few of these watches.

So I got these four watches where I have an idea where they're from, but I haven't gotten that confirmed by anoyne who knows their stuff.

These first two are a couple of Lemanias after my grandfather. My grandmother believes the one on the right was bought in the mid 50's and the other one in the early 60's. Both are wind-ups.

Actually used them both a lot, especially the one on the right.

Then there's these two I got for next to nothing at a flea's market thing a few years back. both are broken(sadly) The Left one is a Felca that a 80+ year old local watchmaker believed to be from the early 40's. The other is believed to be a mid 70's diving watch. The text inside reads "Paul Maillardi Super-Automatic" And "25 jewels Incabloc"
    Last edited by Parptarf; August 23rd, 2015 at 21:25.
    Shum likes this.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Re: Help me date a few of these watches.

Hi and welcome to WUS.
    You have some interesting watches there, true vintage and great makes. Perhaps you would enjoy looking through the many adverts posted in the "ECLECTIC ADVERTS" thread, you may find a match or close match to all your watches, even if you can't find your exact model or make, you may find a similar style!
    Holding the cursor over each ad should show the date of each advert.

Cheers, Bob.
    busmatt likes this.

I would expect both of the Lemania watches to have a movement from the Lemania 3000 family:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Lemania 3000
    Given their looks, I suppose your grandmother is right about the mid 1950s and the early 1960s.
    The Felca might be from the early 1940s, but I wouldn't exclude late 1930s.. The diver looks 1960s/1970s to me- there's probably an ETA or AS inside. Couldn't find any Paul Maillardi in Mikrolisk, so it might be a private label brand, but just that it isn't in Mikrolisk doesn't mean anything.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Hi and welcome to WUS.
    You have some interesting watches there, true vintage and great makes. Perhaps you would enjoy looking through the many adverts posted in the "ECLECTIC ADVERTS" thread, you may find a match or close match to all your watches, even if you can't find your exact model or make, you may find a similar style!
    Holding the cursor over each ad should show the date of each advert.

Cheers, Bob.
    I will do that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    I would expect both of the Lemania watches to have a movement from the Lemania 3000 family:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Lemania 3000
    Given their looks, I suppose your grandmother is right about the mid 1950s and the early 1960s.
    The Felca might be from the early 1940s, but I wouldn't exclude late 1930s.. The diver looks 1960s/1970s to me- there's probably an ETA or AS inside. Couldn't find any Paul Maillardi in Mikrolisk, so it might be a private label brand, but just that it isn't in Mikrolisk doesn't mean anything.
    I haven't had them open in a few years, but I remember them looking very similar inside. So I would expect them to the the same kind of watch but different model dials. Even if the Felca is late 30's, would it be a possible story that this had been used by a German soldier during the occupation of Norway in WWII? I remember reading somewhere that Felca was among those who made watches for the Wehrmacht. It does sort of resemble what German army watches looked like back then. And I have a thing for old military watches.(Used a Bulova A-11 as a "daily" for a years time)

Yes, Felca did manufacture watches for the German army, but if this one has ever been used by any German soldier, it must have been bought privately by that soldier. This definitely isn't a military issue watch. Copper-coloured dial and blued steel "stick" hands are honestly the last thing I would expect to see in a military piece. No, I think your watch is absolutely civilian. It's a nice piece- it just needs a new crystal.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

My little collection of vintage wristwatches and pocketwatches

My love for these started back when I was 13-14 and was given a Lemania watch after my grandfather. Wore it every day for a year or so. Then, my family realized they had more of these laying around and gave them all to me(Lucky me, I know)

So let's start
    Name:  BGJuZin.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  507.4 KB

First up are my two Lemania watches. The left is believed to be early 60's and the right to be mid 50's. I'm wearing the right one right now too, love that watch. Both after my grandfather.
    Name:  XNGtVZZ.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  351.2 KB

Here's a Zenith Defy Quartz. My great grandfather on my mother's side bought this somewhere in the 60's or 70's according to my grandfather.
    Name:  WCr8E9F.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  323.2 KB

Mimo Sport my grandmother on my father's side got as a present in 1940. She stopped using it 15-20 years ago when it stopped working.
    Name:  cUFM8e1.jpg
Size:  370.2 KB

Here's another two broken watches. These two I found at a flea's market for next to nothing. Felca is believed to be late 30's/early 40's.
    The diver is a Paul Maillardi with an automatic movement. I know it's made before 1973 as the first watchmaker mark under the cover is dated to 1973. Late 60s'/early 70's perhaps?
    Name:  X7Pj3by.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  416.1 KB

The Felca hasa broken screw somewhere in here, and it needs a service.
    Name:  QyFbsao.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  440.8 KB

As for the Maillardi watch, the spring is broken. Both of these two watches is gonne prove quite the challenge to fix unless I wanna pay with an organ or two at a "mainstream" watchmaker.
    Name:  qHbHPNi.jpg
Size:  382.1 KB

Here's my three pocket watches. A 1906 Hamilton, 1918 Longines and one unindentified that might be pre-1900.
    Name:  KUH9kWK.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  380.7 KB

The longines was bought and given as a gift to my Father's grandfather when my grandfather was born in 1918. It still works, and I use it every time I'm wearing a suit with a vest. (Chicks LOVE this thing)
    had an 80+ year old retired watchmaker take a look at it, and he said the movement was in excellent condition. I really love the dial's patina aswell.(As you can see in the first pocketwatch picture)
    Name:  cuGGnqg.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  429.5 KB
    Name:  UTL0pNI.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  446.2 KB

Here's the movmement in the oldest pocket watch, didn't take a picture of the Hamilton's insides as I didn't open it when taking these.
    The last time I tried and have this dated I got an estimate of it being from 1850. That's pretty cool. Doesn't work, sadly, and it needs custom made parts for it to work again.
    Name:  99gn7xL.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  421.9 KB
    Last edited by Parptarf; August 24th, 2015 at 19:08.
    Passion for old cars and watches

Re: My little collection of vintage wristwatches and pocketwatches

The Felca has an AS 984:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 984

The "unidentified" PW has a Lepine IV movement- which was used by many French and Swiss manufacturers.

The automatic diver seems to have an AS movement (which one, dunno), at least the balance cock design looks very AS.

As to the Mimo, you might find interesting the fact, that Mimo belonged to Girard-Perregaux.

Chicks are attracted to PWs, you say? Hmmm... Looks like I have to visit a fleamarket soon then!

The Longines PW and the two Lemanias are the nicest pieces in your collection- in my opinion at least.
    Parptarf, Emre, SilkeN and 1 others like this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

The Longines PW and the two Lemanias are the nicest pieces in your collection- in my opinion at least.
    Oh I definitely agree with you! :D
    Passion for old cars and watches

As to the Mimo, you might find interesting the fact, that Mimo belonged to Girard-Perregaux.
    Vice versa. Mimo owned GP.

I like that divers watch, look at those hands,very nice. Your grandparents had a good taste of watches, lucky you.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Two threads merged - one should do the trick. The "Maillardi" does not have an Adolf Schild movement - it is a Felsa movement from the Cal. 4000 series (one of the versions with a date feature):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Felsa 4000

From what I can deduct from the pink pages, the 4000 series started in the mid 1950s, the improved versions (subscript "N" with more rapid date change) came into existence around 1960.

Hartmut Richter
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; August 24th, 2015 at 22:34. Reason: Additional info on merging threads

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information