Help Me Date Two Hamilton's
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Giotime
  • 1 Post By GeneJockey

Thread: Help Me Date Two Hamilton's

Help Me Date Two Hamilton's

Hello everyone.

I've been going through some watches that belonged to my wife's great-grandfather, and for the life of me I can't date these two Hamilton's.

The first is a tank style, in pretty immaculate condition. Winds and keeps time wonderfully. The non-original strap was pretty worn, so I took it off.

Markings on the movement are 980, G523387 and the caseback is marked L078068

Name:  tank01.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  31.4 KBName:  tank02.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  434.4 KB

The second was given to him as a retirement gift in 1958, so I assume it is from within a year or two of then. Again, in very nice condition and runs strong.

No discernible serial number on the movement, but is marked 661 and the caseback has L775862 and K456 as markings.

Name:  round01.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  34.5 KBName:  round02.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  172.0 KB

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Help Me Date Two Hamilton's

Hi. The rectangular is a Hamilton Eaton. Circa 1948. The round is a K 456. From about 1956. Information is from Hamilton Resource Center in the Hamilton Watch forum.
    ManOnTime likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Giotime View Post
    Hi. The rectangular is a Hamilton Eaton. Circa 1948. The round is a K 456. From about 1956. Information is from Hamilton Resource Center in the Hamilton Watch forum.
    Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First one (hoover your mouse-pointer over the image with the movement to see the dial and case). The bracket for the watch strap is different from yours):

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/sear...milton/G523387

You say 'winds and keeps time wonderfully', which is a nice thing. Before you decide to wind it up it and let it run more often, possible even wearing it on your wrist, it is an absolute MUST to have it serviced. Dried in oil, or no oil left where it's needed, will cause a lot of friction and ultimately severe wear-out. If the watch is generally in good shape, a service is not that expensive and you have it set for future generations, especially as the oils of today last a lot longer.

Are you sure there is no serial number on the movement of watch #2? Perhaps underneath the rotor?
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; November 29th, 2015 at 23:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    First one (hoover your mouse-pointer over the image with the movement to see the dial and case). The bracket for the watch strap is different from yours):

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/sear...milton/G523387

You say 'winds and keeps time wonderfully', which is a nice thing. Before you decide to wind it up it and let it run more often, possible even wearing it on your wrist, it is an absolute MUST to have it serviced. Dried in oil, or no oil left where it's needed, will cause a lot of friction and ultimately severe wear-out. If the watch is generally in good shape, a service is not that expensive and you have it set for future generations, especially as the oils of today last a lot longer.

Are you sure there is no serial number on the movement of watch #2? Perhaps underneath the rotor?

Servicing then is something I had in mind. I have no service history whatsoever.

I turned the rotor all the way around on the automatic, and the only markings on the movement are what is in the picture. I will take another look, though.

Quote Originally Posted by matlobi View Post
    Servicing then is something I had in mind. I have no service history whatsoever.

I turned the rotor all the way around on the automatic, and the only markings on the movement are what is in the picture. I will take another look, though.
    Very unlikely there's a serial number on the automatic. Few if any of the imported movements that American watch companies cased and sold had serial numbers. Indeed, both Hamilton and Elgin stopped putting serial numbers on their domestically produced movements in the mid 1950s - with the exception of those pocket watches that were made for Railroad service, where serial numbers were required.
    ManOnTime likes this.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Thread Information