Help me find a birthyear watch - Page 2
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Help me find a birthyear watch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Help me find a birthyear watch

While not the most exciting watch, Gallet made many thousands of these resin-case watches. It's hard to tell definitively but this does look like a 1988 date on the back.

Dave8 likes this.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave8 View Post
    Interested in finally picking up a birthyear watch. Birthyear is 1988.

Requirements:
    <$1000
    42mm or smaller
    Auto or Hand wind ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    I only have one suggestion... which does not fit all your criteria (quartz)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
    In 1988 Seiko was making the 7Axx (ie 28,38) movement quartz chronograph. Introduced in 1983, this movement was the first analog display quartz chronograph produced, representing the 80s market shift away from mechanical movement watches to quartz. These watches are easy to identify as 1988 production since Seiko's serial number system indicates the year of production followed by the month of production as the first two digits of their serial numbers (eg. 83XXXX would be March 1988 production for a 7A38).

Attachment 1374606
    May I recommend a variation on the Seiko 7Axx theme .... introduced in 1988 (and flown in space).
    Except it doesn't meet 2 of your criteria - in that it's quartz (Seiko 7A38 based) - and 43mm diameter.

The Yema Spationaute III Aragatz (also available in 38mm 'reduced' version).

Dave8 and Ray916MN like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
    One of the things to consider with all the preceding watches is the potential need and cost of service for anything you buy. Seiko no longer supports the 7Axx movement watches with parts and many watchmakers do not have experience servicing these movements.
    Correct - in a matter of fact way, perhaps, Ray - but there's plenty of online support for Seiko 7Axx's elsewhere.
    Ray916MN likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Dave8! You might be interested in this thread I started over on f71, on finding affordable birthyear watches https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=926675
    In the intro, I give hints for the hunt, and some suggestions for the various decades. Lots of people have contributed ideas, and information on dating various brands, so you can track down that birthyear beauty.
    Here's mine, a 1967 Smiths W10. Like many issued military watches, it's helpfully dated /67

Good luck with your hunt!
    Dave8 likes this.
    DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information