Help me ID vintage Oris

Thread: Help me ID vintage Oris

Help me ID vintage Oris

Picked up this vintage Oris on ebay. Don't know anything about it and can't seem to find any information about this particular model. I'm guessing it was not a very expensive watch in it's day, but if anyone can tell me more about it I would appreciate it. Just sort of bought it on a whim. Now that I have a better look at it, I'm guessing the crown isn't original either. Movement is a 742

Last edited by jp375; December 2nd, 2010 at 00:12.

Re: Help me ID vintage Oris

Hi,

I think it looks good, I've been wanting to get a vintage Oris myself but I always seem to get outbid as they're very popular, and they go for a bit more than your average vintage. Personally I would say the crown could well be original, as it is quite aged and may have plate loss and/or a little corrosion, but when new would have been a shiny silver and matching. Didn't until now know anything about the movement, I did however google it and found this page: http://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categor...%20740,742.pdf. It tells you info and specs about the movement including dimensions, seems it has KIF Trior shock protection (I know a number of Oris movements had KIF shock absorption). Frequency is 21,600 A/h or 3Hz and it's a lever movement. The dial and hands are in great shape, and I think it would look very good on a black or dark brown leather strap, maybe croco or alligator grain. From the style I would guess it's 60s or 70s, but don't quote me on it. All in all a nice vintage Oris, enjoy.
    Last edited by billybobman; December 2nd, 2010 at 00:34.

Thanks for the info. I don't know how you found that movement info, I tried searching like crazy! What is the history of Oris in general? Historically, has their place in the marketplace been at a lower price point than it is today?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jp375 View Post
    Historically, has their place in the marketplace been at a lower price point than it is today?
    Yep. They were only permitted to make low grade pin-lever movements for a while. Even though yours has 17 jewels, it could still be a pin-lever watch. I don't know for sure, not being an Oris collector.

*EDIT ah I see, you've ID'd it as a lever. Great
    Last edited by trim; December 2nd, 2010 at 06:05.

Quote Originally Posted by jp375 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I don't know how you found that movement info, I tried searching like crazy! What is the history of Oris in general? Historically, has their place in the marketplace been at a lower price point than it is today?
    I agree with what trim said, also modern Oris watches have gone up in price quite a lot in the last few years (above inflation). I had an artelier date about six years ago maybe and paid £525 for it (RRP), now the RRP is £760 (and imo the dial design is not quite as good any more). Oris have invested a huge amount of money in marketing and advertising over the last decade or so especially for such a relatively small watch company, and that's partly how they're able to charge the higher prices now. I think maybe the vintage prices have gone up too as people have become more aware of them and as the new models have gone up.

Thread Information