Help me identify this Eterna 1000 5 Star

Thread: Help me identify this Eterna 1000 5 Star

Help me identify this Eterna 1000 5 Star

Pictured below is a Eterna, Eterna Matic 1000 5 Star from the 1960s. But after reading about all the fake Eternas out there and going through www.Ranfft.de, I've concluded this watch is either a fake, or a fraken. Maybe I'm wrong. The seller says the watch runs well. What really made me do a double take are:

1. After looking at the caseback, think it might be an aftermarket or later replacement. The engraved model # doesn't look right, lookes like someone did it with a cheap engraver. Think it could be a real Eterna case back, but might not be for the 1000 5 star.

2. The movement looks like a Cal. 1488 (17 jewel, unadjusted), but none of the pictures of Eterna movements I've seen has the markings the way this movement has it. Looks like it could be an ETA 2824 maybe? Not sure.

Would love to get the collective impressions of everyone here though! Thanks for reading my post.

Name:  Eterna 1.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  548.2 KBName:  Eterna 2.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  650.2 KBName:  Eterna 3.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  374.0 KBName:  Eterna 4.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  505.1 KBName:  Eterna 5.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  617.9 KB

Re: Help me identify this Eterna 1000 5 Star

Hi there,

for the American market this movement was made with 17 jewels and the according signature, to save duties. If you find the US import code "EXA" or "IXL" on the balance cock, everything is o.k.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

very nice and clean watch and no the movement is a still manufacture movement not an eta one
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great cklean watch you have

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Wrong - it isan ETA one! At that time, the ETA made two types of movements: the generic ones for anyone who wanted them, plus the high grade, in house ones for Eterna. The latter were the only ones allowed to use the ball bearings on the rotor.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Wrong - it isan ETA one! At that time, the ETA made two types of movements: the generic ones for anyone who wanted them, plus the high grade, in house ones for Eterna. The latter were the only ones allowed to use the ball bearings on the rotor.

Hartmut Richter
    Sweet so this is looking up! I was concerned this was a franken. I noticed the ball bearings on the rotor, it didn't look like the Chinese made ones, so I was at least happy that it wasn't a Chinese knock-off... Honestly I think I would've been okay with an ETA movement, I would've been pretty close... Would these all have the Brevete markings? I think it's being covered by the rotor, but we'll see. I should get it this week, will post more pics!

Thanks Roland. I should've asked for a picture with the rotor in the other direction, didn't think of it ahead of time unfortunately... What do you guys think of the caseback, the letters look too narrow, period pieces looks like they had stamped lettering not etched.

Thread Information