Help me identify movement - triple date watch
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help me identify movement - triple date watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me identify movement - triple date watch

Today I had an opportunity to take a shot of the movement in my vintage triple date watch. Any ideas what movement is this? Watch face is not signed, but I reckon it should be quite old piece, maybe from 50s.

Sorry for the bad photo.
    Name:  DSC_0576.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  131.1 KB

And the watch face.

Name:  DSC_0016.JPG
Views: 504
Size:  252.4 KB

Thanks in advance.

Zord
    bobbee likes this.

Re: Help me identify movement - triple date watch

Looks fairly recent, actually. And possibly chinese. The hairspring stud is definitely a more recent type, and it looks like the date setting is done via pushers on the side. I'm suspecting a modern "Retro style" piece. Anything written under the balance wheel?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

The size of the case is definitely more vintage than modern (presuming a regular sized wristwatch movement). The movement does not match any Chinese movement that I know and for a modern Chinese watch of this style I would expect an automatic movement. The dial does look unusually pristine, especially when there is evidence of wear on the case. So I think that it is a vintage watch but with a completely refurbished (or replicated) dial.

ZORD, do you have a photo of the case back? And where did the watch come from?
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Eta 1164 bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA 1164

It might have a 'faux moonphase'.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thanks everybody.
    The watch is only 30mm in diameter, so the movement has to be approx. 26-28 mm I guess. I think Marrick could be right, but some parts do look a bit different to my untrained eyes. Moon phase definitely works and date and day changes automatically. The only thing I have to change manually is month.

My watchmaker says it is a Swiss movement but he doesn’t know which one exactly, so I had to ask you guys.

Chascomm, the watch is currently being serviced; I will have it in a few days. The case back is steel and it has small stamp "Swiss" on it and three numbers (can’t recall exact numbers right now). The watch was given to me by my father in law, who has a pretty decent vintage collection. Probably came from flea market many years ago.
    It is highly unlikely that the dial is refurbished. I am not aware that there is anybody doing that kind of work in my town/country. It probably hasn’t been worn much. Watchmaker said that it looks like it has never been cleaned before.

Quote Originally Posted by ZORD View Post
    The watch is only 30mm in diameter, so the movement has to be approx. 26-28 mm I guess. I think Marrick could be right, but some parts do look a bit different to my untrained eyes. Moon phase definitely works and date and day changes automatically.
    Well the moonphase must be an uncommon additional complication - very nice indeed. Someone else may know more, of course.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by ZORD View Post
    It is highly unlikely that the dial is refurbished. I am not aware that there is anybody doing that kind of work in my town/country. It probably hasn’t been worn much. Watchmaker said that it looks like it has never been cleaned before.
    Score!
    Chascomm

Hello everybody,
    I got the watch from service yesterday, and checked it for all writtings.
    On the movement is engraved 'swiss made', under balance is engraved '10 1120'.
    On the underside of the case back is engraved '5437', and ond the upper side 'swiss 12-701'.
    That is all, and it is indeed 1100 series I guess, 1120 to be precise.
    Here is the link for the movement, albeit there is no info about the complications on this site.
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA 1120

I guess it could be late 50s or early 60s. No info on the manufacturer of the watch :(
    Thank you very much once again,
    Zord
    Last edited by ZORD; August 20th, 2014 at 08:59.
    Chascomm likes this.

It's interesting to compare the different finishing done by the various assemblers:

Your is somewhere between the two examples in the Ranfft archives, having the movable hairspring stud, centre wheel jewel and cap-jewel on the escape wheel, but having the smaller screw-compensated balance wheel.

Regarding the complications; I wonder if there was another maker producing triple-date modules to fit the ETA 1100 series?
    Chascomm

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    It's interesting to compare the different finishing done by the various assemblers:

Your is somewhere between the two examples in the Ranfft archives, having the movable hairspring stud, centre wheel jewel and cap-jewel on the escape wheel, but having the smaller screw-compensated balance wheel.

Regarding the complications; I wonder if there was another maker producing triple-date modules to fit the ETA 1100 series?

Chascomm, thanks for comparison, I had to Google to identify all the parts that you mentioned in your post :).

I have tried to Google about triple date moophase modules from 50s but without luck. Hopefully somebody will have more info on that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information