Help me identify my grandfathers pocket watch (WW2 found!)

Thread: Help me identify my grandfathers pocket watch (WW2 found!)

Help me identify my grandfathers pocket watch (WW2 found!)

Hello, hope you are having a great day, wherever you are! My grandma gave me a pocket watch today that my grandfather found during war time during the .... retreat in Bryansk, a Russian front town for .... entrance. This watch seems to be a French made womens pocket watch that was made by a Jewish factory? One can only guess the sort of a history this watch had, and I am not sure whether to restore this, or to keep it as is. Wondering if anyone could help figure out the age/maker of the watch?

From my limited experience it seems to be a lower jewel-watch, although in a silver case. My grandfather did tinker with it, he could have pulled some stones out himself big(2nd?) wheel seems to have a space for a jewel around it, although it could just be an oil hole??...and apparently my mother pulled off the hands as she got to play with this watch when she was young

Also, could is in any way be possible that a solider went from the French front to a Russian front, or was this just some loot that soldiers could have traded?

Edit- note to self- Looks like Remontoir, but probably isn't, due to writing on the balance cock "avance retard",
    Last edited by Derevna; June 11th, 2012 at 08:38.

Re: Help me identify my grandfathers pocket watch (WW2 found!)

Low grade Swiss movement from approx. 1890-1910.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The watch is from the late 19th century, has a low to mid grade Swiss cylindre escapement and is in the style made for the lower classes. They were very common and this style is therefore called "Bauerntaschenuhr" (farmer's pocket watch). The ornate ring is to go on the dial as a frame for the coloured part. We have a very similar one in the family.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thread Information