Help me identify this Pocket watch

Thread: Help me identify this Pocket watch

SEIKO & CITIZEN Moderator raggyboy's Avatar

Help me identify this Pocket watch

Recently I got a deal on this omega pocket watch. I've attached pictures too and hopefully you can help me identify this watch. Sadly I don't have a movement picture. Kindly I also want to know how much price do these watches run. I like it but wondering if this watch is easy to flip it if in case it doesn't work for me after a purchase.

In fact there are many of these kinds on the bay too but all of them are slightly different especially the dial(of course it's obvious). I have a little doubt on the dial that it doesn't have omega logo but only the writing "OMEGA". Thanks in advance.

Andrew
    Last edited by raggyboy; November 16th, 2008 at 03:19.

Re: Help me identify this Pocket watch

we need the serial number off the movement to date it precisely. It's obviously a hunter case, and I'd guess dates 1900-1920.
    The photos of the case markings aren't large enough for me to say if it's solid gold or gold filled. Also I can't read the case serial number. It might be the same as the movement since it's an Omega case.
    Omega is a great quality pocket watch if it's in good condition. Since we obviously cannot assess condition over the Internet (unless it's horrible) we do not get into valuation estimates here.
    To be honest I've never heard of pocket watch collectors wanting to flip one of their purchases. But then I lead a very sheltered life.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    we need the serial number off the movement to date it precisely. It's obviously a hunter case, and I'd guess dates 1900-1920.
    The photos of the case markings aren't large enough for me to say if it's solid gold or gold filled. Also I can't read the case serial number. It might be the same as the movement since it's an Omega case.
    Omega is a great quality pocket watch if it's in good condition. Since we obviously cannot assess condition over the Internet (unless it's horrible) we do not get into valuation estimates here.
    To be honest I've never heard of pocket watch collectors wanting to flip one of their purchases. But then I lead a very sheltered life.
    Hi Ray

Just went and search through the photos and found this clear shot of the case number. But still I don't have any movement pictures. May be I might have to go back to the seller again

Andrew

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

OK the case mark with the peacock means 80% silver. If the case serial number is the same as the one on the movement, the watch dates to ca 1927. Not sure if the case and movement numbers match though. The movement is the key.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    OK the case mark with the peacock means 80% silver. If the case serial number is the same as the one on the movement, the watch dates to ca 1927. Not sure if the case and movement numbers match though. The movement is the key.
    "The case and movement number match" Do you mean they both are of the same number? Let's say the case and movement number match and the movement is in a good condition. Can you estimate the value?

Quote Originally Posted by raggyboy View Post
    "The case and movement number match" Do you mean they both are of the same number? Let's say the case and movement number match and the movement is in a good condition. Can you estimate the value?
    The value? What ever price matches buyer and seller... Further we will say naught.

Look at ebay or websites selling such watches or books that give estimates.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    The value? What ever price matches buyer and seller... Further we will say naught.

Look at ebay or websites selling such watches or books that give estimates.
    ah Thanks.

If the number is the same on the case and movement that would be a match. I'm not sure whether that match is normal with Omega or not. The movement number is the important piece of data for ID.
    As Eeeb has pointed out we never do valuations here as we don't have any valid way to determine condition - that is 90 percent of the valuation story.

Thread Information