Help me to identify this pocketwatch - Chronometre Noble
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help me to identify this pocketwatch - Chronometre Noble

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me to identify this pocketwatch - Chronometre Noble

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance for any help given.

One of my cousins gave to me, today, this pocketwatch that was at my grandfather's sister house. She has passed away a couple of years back and was very dear to everyone in the family.

I showed to my grandfather the watch and he thinks the watch belonged to his father before beloging to his sister, so it's a old and family watch.
    I don't realy care if it's rare or expensive one, being a watch that belonged to my great grandfather is enough to make me want to restore it.

Not knowing anything about pocket watches i come to everyone here for help. I am interest to know anything about the brand. Did they made the watch? Did they just put the brand on the dial? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sifion.

Re: Help me to identify this pocketwatch - Chronometre Noble

Hi and welcome.

I don't know much about pocket watches, but according to Mikrolisk the case was made by J. Breguet-Breting Fils Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index and that trademark was first registered in 1910.

'Chronometre Noble' isn't listed there, but perhaps someone else will know of it. The movement doesn't look to be in good condition and isn't of the highest quality - so getting the watch restored may prove to be difficult. I can't ID the movement - but, again, perhaps someone else will be able to.
    Sifion likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thanks, it's a start.

Google translate from that page says that J.B.B was from Biel, Swiss. Not much about the brand on google but i think they made only cases, found a gold longines with a JBB case.

That wave pattern is something i've never seen and might give away the maker, hopefully someone will know what movement is.

It is in bad shape, i know. I think it has been locked up for a better part of at least 40 years. I think i know a company that might restore it though. Just wanted to find out about it before sending it away.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The movement is indeed in a very poor shape due to rust. It also seems to be a 7 Jewel movement, making it the lowest grade. Definitely not worth the expense of restoration unless desired for sentimental reasons.

It also looks like the hands are not original, and that the 4th wheel long pivot was broken by some "watchmaker" in the past (no second hand).
    Last edited by vbomega; December 26th, 2012 at 18:24.

Quote Originally Posted by vbomega View Post
    The movement is indeed in a very poor shape due to rust. It also seems to be a 7 Jewel movement, making it the lowest grade. Definitely not worth the expense of restoration unless desired for sentimental reasons.

It also looks like the hands are not original, and that the 4th wheel long pivot was broken by some "watchmaker" in the past (no second hand).
    I thought the hands were a little strange. The minute hand seems a little too short for the case.

It does have a sentimental value, but i got no rush in restoring it.

I want to find out as much as possible before sending it to restoration, might make it easier and cheaper also.

The balance spring is pretty much useless i think, kinda of distorted because the balance plate is loose. The spring is some blueish metal, got no ideia if it might help...

The dial got red 13- 24h markings that are faded also.

Thanks for the coments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifion View Post
    I thought the hands were a little strange. The minute hand seems a little too short for the case.

It does have a sentimental value, but i got no rush in restoring it.

I want to find out as much as possible before sending it to restoration, might make it easier and cheaper also.

The balance spring is pretty much useless i think, kinda of distorted because the balance plate is loose. The spring is some blueish metal, got no ideia if it might help...

The dial got red 13- 24h markings that are faded also.

Thanks for the coments.
    I wasn't sure about the hairspring, but since it is destroyed, my recommendation is not to restore the watch, unless you are willing to pay several hundreds of $ (even if you are lucky enough to find someone qualified to carry out necessary repairs).

I'd just keep it as is, for the memories.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I disagree, this most certainly is not a seven jewel movement. it is most likely fifteen as only the centre wheel is unjewelled and is a low to mid range movement. I would judge this to be probably Twenties to Thirties in date, though I agree too that the hands are replacements. To assume that the fourth wheel pivot is broken is something of an assumption as these often lose the seconds hand without having the relatively large pivot broken.

The major issue is hairspring and this turns it from likely a simple service (assuming no rust issues under the plates) to something harder. Getting a replacement hairspring will not be a simple matter and would require time. So I would agree that this won't be a cheap fix.

The 'wave' pattern was common and tells us little about who made it.
    Last edited by Mirius; December 27th, 2012 at 00:13.

It certainly looks like a 7 J movement on my iPad, but I checked on my bigger screen laptop, and it could be a 15J movement, however, the jewels are either crushed, or extremely dirty/dusty. Also, if you look at the pallet fork bridge, it doesn't look like a jewel, but a metal bushing. Also, rust damage looks more severe than I originally thought. I would be very surprised if the dial side wasn't rusty as well.
    Which is a moot point, considering that a new hairspring would need to be found and vibrated for this balance wheel (I would assume that the balance staff would also need to be located or turned). We are talking about hairspring vibration, balance wheel truing/poising, possibly replacing cracked balance jewels, possibly replacing cracked jewels elsewhere, possibly replacing rusted parts (some may be salvaged), possibly replacing dial side parts, locating and installing new mainspring...
    Locating appropriate set of hands + possibly attending to a broken 4th wheel pivot is another thing. Judging from the overall appearance of this movement, what we see on the surface is just the beginning.

So even if it was a 15J movement, I wouldn't make much of a difference. In fact, it can be jeweled to 15 if so desired (at a significant cost).

My 2 cents...

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

The jewels are clear which is why they are not obvious and all appear to be present. I have quite a number of watches from this era in very similar condition. Until a watchmaker starts digging in, it's very hard to say just how bad it really is - or isn't. All of the items listed are pretty standard restoration items in a watch of this era. Value is subjective.

Thanks for the replies guys. It is helping!!

Sad to hear the pattern is a common feature though, since i'm not going to do any disassembly on my own i can't tell if theres any other markings on the movement.

The Watch case is 48mm and the movement is 33-34mm.

I don't realy know if the hairspring is destroied or not, but to me it seems at least unshaped, no ideia if it can be shaped back to use.

I know people that are qualified to restore it, without any doubt, i just want to find out more about the watch before sending it to him. Might save me time and money.

I took these other pictures. The balance whell and the hairspring, that is somewhat blue.

Name:  DSC01075.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  124.3 KB
    Name:  DSC01077.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  155.9 KB

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Cheers,

Sifion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information