Help Me Identify This Vacheron
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Help Me Identify This Vacheron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture Help Me Identify This Vacheron

Hello WUS,

My Uncle's father recently passed away and he inherited a few of his watches, mostly Seiko, Hamilton, Bulova, etc. Nothing too exciting but he did have a Vacheron&Constantin watch which is really beautiful. I know these are pretty valuable, can you help me identify it?

The watch is solid 18k gold and it was on a solid 15k gold bracelet. I took the bracelet off just to weigh it, I'm not sure if it's original or not but it's very nice. The watch is running good and in really fantastic condition. There's no markings on the case and I'm not finding this model on Google. I'm not a watchmaker and I don't dare try to take the case back off to help identify it.

He has an insurance valuation from November 1980 showing the watch to be valued at $8,000 and the bracelet at $1,800. I know this valuations are usually high. He's just looking to sell it, after browsing the sold auctions on eBay I made him an offer of $1,800 without the bracelet. Am I in the ballpark? I'm not trying to rip him off and I definitely don't want to get ripped off myself! Just looking for help identifying the watch and determining a fair market value.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Help Me Identify This Vacheron

Looks like a nice watch and all I can say is that it is pre-1973 when the "&" in Vacheron & Constantin" was dropped. It actually looks late 1950s. The crown lacks a logo so it may well be a replacement. To be sure that it is real, one would need to see the movement but you seem disinclined to open it up and seem sure enough yourself. As for value, there is value for insurance purposes and value as it is - and without a decent service and a warranty that it actually runs or can be got to run without parts replacement, it will be worth less. Regarding exact value, we don't give valuations here and I don't know enough about VC watches to be able to tell you, I'm afraid.

Hartmut Richter

It's very hard to say without a movement pictures; at the least, it's worth the value of the gold. Nothing looks out of place to my eye, but that's only going on the dial, which is pretty simple and thus not all that hard to fake if one was inclined. Someone more experienced with V&C might have more insight.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ok, no movement photo.
    But from that dial and case which you say is 18Kt, I would say watch face, case and crown at least are genuine.
    Thats my opinion anyway

If bracelet is 15K, I 'guess; its not original to V&C - but that is a guess
    a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Hey,

i recently too received a vintage VC. i used a rubber glove (for the grip) to opened up the case back (pretty easily... but try on your own risk) and you will find all information on it.

something i want to point out.

My watch is in the 50-70 (sorry waiting for VC to send me the correct date as their database people are in summer vacation). it has a 6 digits serial number on can case back (back of the watch), when the watch case is opened, you will find model number inside. Looking at the movement you will see the movement cal ref as well as their "base board" number. you can easily tell a real VC as their craftsmanship is really good. i can't see any of the watch symbol (the VC cross) on the watch face and on the crown, my watch only has the VC symbol on the watch face but not the crown (which is normal for my model).

Thanks for the replies. I managed to open up the watch and it's really beautiful. I was told it was last known to have been serviced approximately 15 years ago. Here are the photos...

Looks 100% all genuine to me
    ENJOY
    A
    busmatt likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Soooo pretty!! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Did you find out the cal ref btw?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

It's a cal. P1019. It was their first full rotor (as opposed to bumper) automatic, and pre-dated the highly regarded 1070 series.

It is a very nice movement and watch, and dates to the 1950s. While it isn't clear whether the crown is original, they did not have logos from that era, so that is not an issue.

In terms of value, the insurance estimate is definitely high, and vintage V&C have been in a bit of a down trend over the past couple of years, but the watch still has good value.

Regards.

Tony C.
    Last edited by Tony C.; August 2nd, 2015 at 12:17.
    busmatt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information