Help me indentify this old Hamilton watch

Thread: Help me indentify this old Hamilton watch

Help me indentify this old Hamilton watch

When you're interested into watches, some people you know wanna give you a watch they own... Specially vintage watches.

I fixed someone's computer and they gave me this baby :

Name:  Attachment 2(2).jpg
Views: 231
Size:  206.7 KB

I love Hamiltons and this one is an old model. Swiss made, screw back which i'm unable to open (seems it's stuck). The watch works great, keeps good time so I don't need to open it.

On the back it says this watch was given to someone for 30 years in a Belgian company (you call these Award watches, correct me if i'm wrong) and it's dated 1968 so I presume this watch was manufactured in the late 1960's. That's all I know, no model name, nothing !

Does anyone knows anything more about it ?

Re: Help me indentify this old Hamilton watch

The best thing you can do is open it and you will find the mechanism model inside.Which will tell you the year as well. The dial looks mint.
    Where do you repair computers? I would take a watch over money every time

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSexAndDrugs View Post
    Where do you repair computers? I would take a watch over money every time
    Well, when you live in a small village, everyone knows you know how to use a computer and how to fix it, so people ask for help (this is not my main job).

Anyway, i'm kinda frightenned to open it. I tried to open it with a dedicated tool but no way. I don't want to turn too hard and break something but... if anyone knows how to "unstuck" a watch back case, the solution is welcome !

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by danduncan View Post
    Well, when you live in a small village, everyone knows you know how to use a computer and how to fix it, so people ask for help (this is not my main job).

Anyway, i'm kinda frightenned to open it. I tried to open it with a dedicated tool but no way. I don't want to turn too hard and break something but... if anyone knows how to "unstuck" a watch back case, the solution is welcome !
    You could take it to a watchmaker, then it's HIS problem!

There's the 'duct tape ball' trick, and in extremes there's the 'superglue a nut to the caseback' trick, where you use superglue to attach a nut to the caseback, then use the proper sized wrench to open it up. Acetone removes any residues.

Honestly, though, the Swiss movements in later Hamiltons are aesthetically uninteresting, not like a nice 770 or 747...

For identification, check vintagewatchforums.com. Some of the most knowledgeable Hamilton collectors hang out there, and they've put together a lot of resources for IDing old Hamilton watches.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Looks like a "thinline". Google and search that a bit and you'll probably find it.

what a gorgeous watch. Really sweet.

Thread Information