Help me with my CYMA Braille Pocket Watch
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony C.
  • 2 Post By eri231
  • 1 Post By pithy

Thread: Help me with my CYMA Braille Pocket Watch

Help me with my CYMA Braille Pocket Watch

Hi, a while back I inherited a bunch of pocket watches from a relative. Most of them are not in a working condition and I suspect they were all either donor or project watches. I showed them all to a watch repairer I know. His opinion was that with 1 exception they weren't worth the effort of repairing. This was actually music to my tinkering ears, giving me personal license to have a bit of a tinker.

The one I'm looking at now is a braille pocket watch. The make is CYMA. It's in what looks like a gun-metal full hunter case. The movement inside is quite badly marked, looks like rust but is possibly just places where the coating has come away revealing the underlying brass. When I first picked it up the spring was fully wound and the watch was a complete no go.

It has a few serial numbers on it:

On the main plate:18307039
    Note that this is possibly: 183070-39 there's a suspicious looking scratch that might be a dash or might just be a scratch
    Around the balance: REF.970 and 39

I dismantled it, removed dust and fluff and what not and reassembled it. It's a bit happier now. It'll run for several hours now when the watch is dial up, dial down or stem up. Stem up, it'll run till the spring unwinds. In other positions it will eventually stop and seems to be making contact with the pallet fork bridge.

Personally, i think it's either had a hard knock, or a heavy finger on it at some point in the past. I can see by the way that light plays off the escape wheel that it has a slight wobble. When the balance cock is screwed in the balance makes contact with one of the bridges. Seems like the balance cock has been pushed down and out of alignment and that the balance was probably damaged when this happened.

First bit of help - can you please give me an idea of the age? I've tried finding a serial number guide for CYMA but have been unsuccessful.
    Second bit of help - how do you pronounce this brand name? is it SEE-ma? SIGH-ma?
    Lastly - As I said, the balance is pretty wobbly. Is there anything i can do about this wobble?

Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  1.46 MBName:  Back.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  1.60 MB
    Last edited by Howick Hobbyist; August 28th, 2015 at 12:57.

Re: Help me with my CYMA Braille Pocket Watch

Sorry, but I'll need to feel it in order to form an opinion.
    busmatt likes this.

for the technical look at the site of Roland Ranfft.
    English is not my language but I think the pronunciation is SI-MA >> mountain peak

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Cyma 970
    regards enrico
    Last edited by eri231; August 28th, 2015 at 17:41.
    busmatt and Apollonaught like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by eri231 View Post
    for the technical look at the site of Roland Ranfft.
    English is not my language but I think the pronunciation is SI-MA >> mountain peak

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Cyma 970
    regards enrico
    Correct! Cyma (French) means mountain peak. If you want to give some help regarding the way it should be prounounced, the English speakers come close with the word 'seem'. The company was founded 1862 in Le Locle, Switzerland, by the brothers Joseph and Theodor Schwab (from La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland). 1891 the company was merged with Tavannes Watch Co. Later (1969), there was a merger between Cyma, Tavannes and Doxa under the name Synchron AG.

In the year 2011, the owners of Cyma have sold the name and all rights connected to the Stelux Group in Hong Kong. The Swiss Tradition has ended, and there will be no more Swiss watches under this name.

Quote Originally Posted by Howick Hobbyist View Post
    Hi, a while back I inherited a bunch of pocket watches from a relative. Most of them are not in a working condition and I suspect they were all either donor or project watches. I showed them all to a watch repairer I know. His opinion was that with 1 exception they weren't worth the effort of repairing. This was actually music to my tinkering ears, giving me personal license to have a bit of a tinker.

The one I'm looking at now is a braille pocket watch. The make is CYMA. It's in what looks like a gun-metal full hunter case. The movement inside is quite badly marked, looks like rust but is possibly just places where the coating has come away revealing the underlying brass. When I first picked it up the spring was fully wound and the watch was a complete no go.

It has a few serial numbers on it:

On the main plate:18307039
    Note that this is possibly: 183070-39 there's a suspicious looking scratch that might be a dash or might just be a scratch
    Around the balance: REF.970 and 39

I dismantled it, removed dust and fluff and what not and reassembled it. It's a bit happier now. It'll run for several hours now when the watch is dial up, dial down or stem up. Stem up, it'll run till the spring unwinds. In other positions it will eventually stop and seems to be making contact with the pallet fork bridge.

Personally, i think it's either had a hard knock, or a heavy finger on it at some point in the past. I can see by the way that light plays off the escape wheel that it has a slight wobble. When the balance cock is screwed in the balance makes contact with one of the bridges. Seems like the balance cock has been pushed down and out of alignment and that the balance was probably damaged when this happened.

First bit of help - can you please give me an idea of the age? I've tried finding a serial number guide for CYMA but have been unsuccessful.
    Second bit of help - how do you pronounce this brand name? is it SEE-ma? SIGH-ma?
    Lastly - As I said, the balance is pretty wobbly. Is there anything i can do about this wobble?

Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  1.46 MBName:  Back.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  1.60 MB
    Cyme (French) means mountain peak. The English speakers come pretty close with the word 'seem'. The 'a' at the end is not pronounced in this word.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 28th, 2015 at 18:19.

sorry if I correct but the brothers Schwob were not brothers and not even relatives Theodore was French (Alsace) and Joseph was Swiss near Neuchâtel

regards enrico

Quote Originally Posted by Howick Hobbyist View Post
    . . . . It'll run for several hours now when the watch is dial up, dial down or stem up. Stem up, it'll run till the spring unwinds. In other positions it will eventually stop and seems to be making contact with the pallet fork bridge. Personally, i think it's either had a hard knock, or a heavy finger on it at some point in the past. I can see by the way that light plays off the escape wheel that it has a slight wobble. When the balance cock is screwed in the balance makes contact with one of the bridges. Seems like the balance cock has been pushed down and out of alignment and that the balance was probably damaged when this happened. . . . .
    Do you have the facility to remove the balancecock and balance wheel and take relatively high resolution photos of the balance staff pivots? Photos of the balancecock from various angles would also be interesting and photos of the hairspring in its various reposes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt likes this.

well... there's my problem...
    Name:  Balance Close Up.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  2.62 MB

Thread Information