help me please identify this at least 100 years old gold pocket watches, i believe they are swiss

Thread: help me please identify this at least 100 years old gold pocket watches, i believe they are swiss

help me please identify this at least 100 years old gold pocket watches, i believe they are swiss

Hello, i need help with indentification on this pocket watches, they are pretty old, the case is solid gold (dont know if 14k or 18k, bit dented yep), from what i can see even most of the inside parts are made out of gold (or at least they are gold plated?). the number in the inside says 76904 and there is something written before the number, but i dont know what it means (it is included in the pictures) i do apologize for the quality of some of these photos, i am no photographer, i tried to include everything important.

http://imgur.com/a/Jzb5V
    Last edited by Eeeb; December 20th, 2012 at 07:50. Reason: made link operational

Re: help me please identify this at least 100 years old gold pocket watches, i believe they are swis

It appears to be a Swiss movement. These were pretty generic in this era with few marks to indicate who assembled it. It appears to be in great condition I can not see any hallmarks to indicate purity but I suspect it is solid gold.

Nice find!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: help me please identify this at least 100 years old gold pocket watches, i believe they are swis

It's a nice case but I'm not convinced that it is solid gold. The style of the watch might suggest 1910 - 1920 and I'm pretty sure that the Swiss would have been hallmarking a solid gold case at that point. I suspect that like the movement the case is plated.
    Last edited by Mirius; December 20th, 2012 at 10:04.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thanks guys! it may be that the case is plated. care to guess how much would such pocket watches be approximately worth?

We don't provide valuations or even guesses here (please see Stickies for detailed reasons why). I'd suggest a browse of completed listings on eBay for similar watches. Unless the case actually is gold, the value is likely to be minimal.

The inside of the lid should have hallmarks which indicate if the watch is solid or plated gold. I did not see that view. If there are no hallmarks, it is not solid gold.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I didn't see that view either, hence my question. There appears to be a mark on the pendant, but I couldn't make out if it was a hallmark.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I would say that the movement is almost certainly by FHF (Fabrique d'Horlogerie Fontainemelon). A sort of style hybrid between these two:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 11'''

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 18'''

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information