Help Me Save This Quarter Repeater Pocket Watch! I May Need a New Case.

Thread: Help Me Save This Quarter Repeater Pocket Watch! I May Need a New Case.

Help Me Save This Quarter Repeater Pocket Watch! I May Need a New Case.

I have a very beautiful quarter repeater pocket watch... but there's a problem. Some jerk removed all of the gold off the case (I can tell, because some of the tips of the case are still tinged with gold) and now it looks very sad, with an out of place crown and lever. I am badly in need of a new case - or should I just re-plate it with gold? Does anyone know where I can get a repeater case like this one? I wanted to keep it in the family for the rest of my life... but I want it to look proper, if I'm going to do that.

The movement is about 44-45 mm in diameter.

Also, let me know if you can tell me anything about the movement. Jewel count? I suppose anywhere from 25 - 33. Can you infer the possible maker?

Last edited by ddashoff699; November 21st, 2012 at 11:06.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Help Me Save This Quarter Repeater Pocket Watch! I May Need a New Case.

That ought to be almost certainly LeCoultre. Here are two such movements, looking very similar to each other (despite one being a quarter repeater, the other a minute repeater) which shows the "mirror image similarity" of the lepine (open face) and savonette (hunter) movements:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: LeCoultre 18'''H7

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: LeCoultre 20'''H7

If you gently shift the hammer (see picture in link), you might get the maker's mark underneath.

As for the case, it can't have been gold from the start so replating is a viable option (leaving aside the issue of $$$ for the moment). Alternatively, depending on the base (steel? silver?), it might be cheaper to get the last remnants of gold off and polish it up to look nice. The first option is more authentic but will cost more, in addition, you will never get it to be as valuable as it would have been without the replating since it will still be restored and not original. So, which option you choose it is ultimately up to you and your bank manager!

Hartmut Richter

Can you post a picture of the inside caseback?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Richter, I had thought about looking beneath the hammers and have now done so. There are no marking there. What should I do now? Pay a watchmaker to take it from its case and look for other markings? It's a tough decision, with the watch case. I still don't know what I'll do.

Abslom, the watch back says nothing except: "32838"

Frankly looks ok from your photos - personally I'd leave it alone.

They often had contrasting lever, hinges, and pendant. I don't quite understand the cover colour, but your photos may have the colour balance a bit off. Personally I would not be surprised to see a silver coloured case with (as above) hinges, pendant, lever in gold. But, it looks like the front cover is gold colour? As the insides of you case are otherwise silver coloured, I would think a silver coloured body is intentional. Some german silver/silveroid cases can go a bit yellow with age, that will polish off.

To repeat, personally I'd leave it alone.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I would ask a watchmaker to look out for a mark the next time he services it - but I would not pay especially to get it done now. If there is nothing under the hammers, there may well be some mark under the dial. However, I am nearly sure it is by LeCoultre - here is another one with almost identical movement that is by LC (first watch in the list, click "movement" for a picture):

watches, vintage watches, pocket watches, railroad watches - Finer Times Vintage Wrist Watches

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Frankly looks ok from your photos - personally I'd leave it alone.

To repeat, personally I'd leave it alone.
    +1

It's hard to know what the problem is with the case given the pics, looks OK to me too.

I agree with Hartmut that this is a leCoultre movement.

This is a great looking pocket watch. Congrats.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thread Information