Help with more info on this Waltham 1908

Thread: Help with more info on this Waltham 1908

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with more info on this Waltham 1908

Hey guys,
    Was at mums house today and she dug out these old pocket watches. First was a Doxa Mark V which was really nice but not in the best condition. Then she got out this:

I know it's a Waltham and from the serial number on the movement it's a model 1908, what I don't know is if it's been re-cased as the case has its own serial numbers and is made in England I'm also not sure if it's gold or not as it's a rose type of colour. It was owned by the same man who owned the Doxa Mark V cockpit watch and he was a pilot in WW1. I would love to know more about it. The gold chain that it was on had a stamped number on each link but it's no longer with the watch.

Dial

Movement

Inside Inner case back

Inside Outer case back

Stamp on winder

Anyway that's what I have, it's still 100% working, any more info would be great!

Oh and here's the Doxa I mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Help with more info on this Waltham 1908

If you don't get many responses here, you might consider reposting this request in the "Pocket Watch and Vintage" forum.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thanks Nokie, didn't know there was one, maybe mods can move it for me I'm on mobile phone and not so easy to do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pile_driver View Post
    Thanks Nokie, didn't know there was one, maybe mods can move it for me I'm on mobile phone and not so easy to do.

Moved this time, next time take your time and search for the right forum
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I can't make out the details on the waltham, but it looks like a pretty decent watch. It's missing parts of its regulator assembly though. The dial is typical for Waltham watches imported into England, and it's in a simple rolled-gold case (not solid). Nice, sensible watch for a gentleman. Looks to be from around the 20's or so, but the serial number will tell you more exactly.

The Doxa is marked for the British Army, as far as I can tell...artillery timing piece, possibly.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I retract my "British Army" comment...I based that on a list of military markings found in Callweys "Militar-Taschenuhren", which described it as "Army Weltkrieg. Oft auf 8-tage-uhren" However, Wesolowski's "Concise Guide to Military Timepieces" describes it as "Aviation Issue Mark - Royal Flying Corp pocket watch, 1914-1917", which is more in line with your description of the owner. This book has a picture of a similar dial, and describes it as a "Mark V aviators watch", which was manufactured by Doxa, Electa, Omega and Zenith (amongst others). The 30hr non-luminous was the most common version. I half-suspect that the bow was added later; these watches were designed to sit in a specially designed holder in the cockpit, and wouldn't have had a bow originally. They were specially designed to be able to handle the constant vibration of an airplane.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The Doxa has a Fontainemelon (FHF) calibre - the lepine (open faced) version of something like this, in which the winding stem and mainspring barrel switch position:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Doxa 1, 19''' (FHF 19''')

Hartmut Richter

Thanks guys,
    Regarding the Doxa I knew already that it's a Mark V cockpit watch that they used to have in the cockpit of the old biplanes in a mount cushioned by horse hair felt. Thanks for
    The extra info though. I was more interested in the Waltham the serial number search said it was a model 1908 but it don't know what the other info means.
    SERIAL # is - 24437008
    Here is the info from NAWCC page

AbslomRob, how can you tell parts are missing? The Waltham winds and works fine the Doxa however is non working, is that the one you were referring to?

AbsolumRob is referring to missing parts of the regulator, specifically the micro-adjustment screw and the parts that hold it in place. Your watch will run without them, but regulating it will not be as precise as it should be. More important, the Waltham's crystal appears to be yellowing plastic. This can cause rusting from the emitted fumes and should be replaced.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information