Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Rafa ZC
  • 1 Post By HOROLOGIST007
  • 1 Post By busmatt
  • 3 Post By Sdasurrey

Thread: Help with a Movado Vintage

Help with a Movado Vintage

Hi there,

I have recently got hold of my Dad's watch. Given that he past away almost 30 years ago I will label it as a "vintage". As you can imagine this watch is very dear to me given the emotional circumstances.

I would like to learn more about the watch (ie model, year, etc etc) but unfortunately I have not been successful over the internet so was wondering if somebody know a bit about this watch?

The strap is not original. It is hand wound and on the back it just says 18K gold.

Thanks for the help!Name:  movadoLR.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  61.0 KBName:  movadoLR.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  61.0 KB
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Help with a Movado Vintage

Hi and welcome
    Based on dial, watch looks 100% original.
    You will probably need to google and search to find the exact model name/number.

When you Google, start with images.

Regards
    busmatt likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    When you Google, start with images.

Regards
    Name:  53077683_zpsb2f45099.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  95.6 KB

Matt
    Last edited by busmatt; July 29th, 2014 at 18:48.
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks early 60's, get it serviced!

Help with a Movado Vintage

If you service it or have a Watchmaker look at it, get pics of the movement and inside case hallmarks as those will help on the ID - if there's anything else on the outside caseback other than 18ct you referenced, describe it or post a pic.

Family watches like this have a lot of personal value - as an aside I inherited my Father's last watch as the oldest Son, and then had it pick pocketed out of my briefcase - he only had it his last few years and it wasn't vintage, but I agonised for days before realising a lifetime of experiences and half my genes are MUCH MORE important than an inanimate object - but that's the only way I could deal with it.

But with a vintage watch like this - it has much more sentimental value - so personally, from one Son to another Son - Cherish lt for a long time ! Scott

PS - one way I have tried to honour my own Father is to focus on starting to collect vintage watches - which I never did before this Family Epiphany......hope I didn't bring too much personal sentiment into your thread.

Good luck on your research !
    Last edited by Sdasurrey; July 29th, 2014 at 23:34.
    bobbee, Apollonaught and Rafa ZC like this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Thread Information