Help with movement identification
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AbslomRob
  • 2 Post By mkws

Thread: Help with movement identification

Help with movement identification

Hello there,
    Any idea of what this might be? It's a sweep-second, and the very way it's designed puzzles me... It's the movement of my grandfather's watch. The watch itself is a Pallas, though most likely it's in no way related to the German consortium of the same name. Can't read the markings under the balance- even a loupe wasn't of much help, really. Appears to be a "26" there, and some other mark I cannot identify. The watch dates to around 1951/1952, at least he remembers buying it then...
    Name:  zdj?cie.JPG
Views: 134
Size:  711.2 KB
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Re: Help with movement identification

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Hello there,
    Any idea of what this might be? It's a sweep-second, and the very way it's designed puzzles me... It's the movement of my grandfather's watch. The watch itself is a Pallas, though most likely it's in no way related to the German consortium of the same name. Can't read the markings under the balance- even a loupe wasn't of much help, really. Appears to be a "26" there, and some other mark I cannot identify. The watch dates to around 1951/1952, at least he remembers buying it then...
    Name:  zdj?cie.JPG
Views: 134
Size:  711.2 KB
    It looks like a FHF 28 or variant: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: FHF 28.

Probably an FHF 26. Ranfft's database doesn't have one, but the design of the FHF 25 is very very similar: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: FHF 25

How wide is it? The FHF 26 was a 12''' movement; the 25 and 28 were both 10.5'''

What was it about the movement you found unusual?
    Last edited by AbslomRob; May 29th, 2015 at 01:47.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What I found interesting- not that unusual, just a bit curious, is the placement of the two wheels- they're above the winding gears, and in many direct sweep-seconds designs they're not that exposed as they are here- also the main bridge is placed quite high, apparently increasing the thickness of the construction- at least when I look at the movement, it seems a bit chunky. Might be an optical illusion, though.
    I do not remember the size of the movement- I only had a wrench with me when I took the photo... By the way, the entire watch measures approximately 35-36mm, although I have no idea if that helps. I'm pretty certain it's a 26 under the balance.
    Thanks ever so much for your help, guys!
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I took a second look, and if you compare the location of the bridge screws relative to the edge of the movement on yours relative to the FHF 28, it's clear that your movement is a bit bigger, so I'm confident it's a FHF 26.
    Last edited by AbslomRob; May 29th, 2015 at 13:25.
    mkws likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks once again... I am not that familiar with FHF wristwatch movements, so I've been looking through AS, ETA, and Felsa. By the way, that's how the watch looks:
    Name:  IMG_3278_zpshh60ycqc.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  173.4 KB
    James A and laikrodukas like this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The movement is an intermediate stage between the indirect central seconds movement looking like this (as an example):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1159

...and the modern central seconds movement, looking like this (as an example):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: ETA 2801

Most watch calibres have a four wheel geartrain (superior ones like the Zenith Cal. 135 have more, original cheapo Roskopf watches only had three). Your movement seems to have only three gears. In reality, there are two stacked one above the other in the centre. This design, similar to the old indirect central seconds movement (with the seconds hand pivot going through the centre gear) adds height to the movement (not desireable) and has by now been replaced by the modern design in which the seconds gear is in the middle and the old centre gear has been shifted to the side. The minute hand, originally driven by the centre gear, takes its drive from the shifted gear - the train of movement is rediverted to the middle on the dial side.

Hope that helps,

Hartmut Richter

Thanks a lot for the info, Hartmut! It really does help me understand the technical aspects of the movement. Thanks ever so much to everyone once again!
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Thread Information