Help with my cheap vintage watch please?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Help with my cheap vintage watch please?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs Up Help with my cheap vintage watch please?

Hi guys. I bought this cheap not-sought-after vintage Orvin manual winder. Several questions:

pic1
    Name:  PIC1.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  356.0 KB

pic2
    Name:  PIC2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  272.4 KB

1. Is the glass/crystal considered a "domed" crystal? (See pic1).

2. Assuming that it's from the 1960's, would it be an acrylic crystal?

3. In pic1 again, you can see that the case back is not flush with the case all around; one side is more flush than the other. (I'm certain of it because I was able to insert a thin piece of paper on one side but not on the other side) Is this normal or acceptable in vintage watches? And can anything be done about this flaw? (to make it flush...)

4. In connection to number 3, is it possible to replace the stainless steel case back with a display case back? I assume it's not possible.

5. In pic2, is that an intentional dent made by the manufacturer to enable a person to pry open the case back with a case opener? Is that where I should push the case back away from the watch?

6. In vintage watches, due to it's old age, is it common that after hand winding it a little, it won't move unless you shake the watch?

7. On Day 1 seller shipped the watch. The watch was running when I received it in Day 2. (we live in the same location). Very early morning on Day 3, I guess the watch was fully unwound. When I tried to wind it, it took only a few turns until I felt the crown starting to bounce back (move in the direction opposite to the winding direction). (I was expecting I could turn it at least 30 times before I start feeling resistance) So I stopped. But then the power lasted only for about an hour or so. So regarding this issue, I have the following questions:

7.1 Approximately after how many turns should I expect resistance in the crown? Or does the crown turn back on the first turn/wind?

7.2 Should I stop immediately after feeling/seeing the resistance or should I continue until it's REALLY hard to wind? How do I know if it's fully wound? How strong should the tension
    be before I stop?

7.3 Seller's pic showed the movement with "UTC" and "17 jewels" written on it. The watch has no date or day. Just hours, minute, and second. How do I wind this type of movement?
    Clockwise only? Clockwise then counter-clockwise then clockwise and on and on..?
    Name:  PIC3.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  97.5 KB

Apologies for the many questions, I just don't want to break my first vintage manual winder, even if it's a cheap one.

Thank you all for your time!
    Last edited by kayeng; September 8th, 2017 at 16:10.
    doggbiter likes this.

Re: Help with my cheap vintage watch please?

Quote Originally Posted by kayeng View Post
    Hi guys. I bought this cheap not-sought-after vintage Orvin manual winder. Several questions:

1. Is the glass/crystal considered a "domed" crystal? (See pic1).

2. Assuming that it's from the 1960's, would it be an acrylic crystal?

3. In pic1 again, you can see that the case back is not flush with the case all around; one side is more flush than the other. (I'm certain of it because I was able to insert a thin piece of paper on one side but not on the other side) Is this normal or acceptable in vintage watches? And can anything be done about this flaw? (to make it flush...)

4. In connection to number 3, is it possible to replace the stainless steel case back with a display case back? I assume it's not possible.

5. In pic2, is that an intentional dent made by the manufacturer to enable a person to pry open the case back with a case opener? Is that where I should push the case back away from the watch?

6. In vintage watches, due to it's old age, is it common that after hand winding it a little, it won't move unless you shake the watch?

7. On Day 1 seller shipped the watch. The watch was running when I received it in Day 2. (we live in the same location). Very early morning on Day 3, I guess the watch was fully unwound. When I tried to wind it, it took only a few turns until I felt the crown starting to bounce back (move in the direction opposite to the winding direction). (I was expecting I could turn it at least 30 times before I start feeling resistance) So I stopped. But then the power lasted only for about an hour or so. So regarding this issue, I have the following questions:

7.1 Approximately after how many turns should I expect resistance in the crown? Or does the crown turn back on the first turn/wind?

7.2 Should I stop immediately after feeling/seeing the resistance or should I continue until it's REALLY hard to wind? How do I know if it's fully wound? How strong should the tension
    be before I stop?

7.3 Seller's pic showed the movement with "UTC" and "17 jewels" written on it. The watch has no date or day. Just hours, minute, and second. How do I wind this type of movement?
    Clockwise only? Clockwise then counter-clockwise then clockwise and on and on..?

Apologies for the many questions, I just don't want to break my first vintage manual winder, even if it's a cheap one.

Thank you all for your time!
    Domed acrylic crystal. Case-back was probably just not seated correctly to be flush; needs to be pushed down evenly and firmly. The indentation is for a case knife to remove back. Needing to shake the watch to get it started is probably a sign of a problem, e.g. with the balance staff. Wind until you can't turn the crown any more. Don't try to force it after that, and don't overthink it.
    doggbiter likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

1. It is a domed acrylic crystal. if its not cracked badly, it should polish up nicely by hand.
    2. The back most likely is just not snapped on completely causing the alignment issue.
    3. You most likely wont' be able to replace the case back with a display back without resorting to significant expense in any event.
    4. I wind til I start to feel resistance. I wouldn't focus on keeping it fully wound. Give it a few winds throughout the day if you are worried.
    5. Not sure i understand your wind rotation question-- holding the watch in its normal viewing orientation, you should turn the crown away from you to wind it. Are you referring to putting it on a watch winder? In which case you wont, since it's not an automatic.

Oh, and a picture of the dial would be appreciated.
    Last edited by doggbiter; September 8th, 2017 at 16:54.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In regards to 6 and 7, if it's in good repair, it should fire up on its own from fully unwound after a few turns. If not, it's in need of a service. From what you're describing, it would benefit from a service. Roughly $100 depending on where you are. (An annoyance for an otherwise cheap purchase, I know.)

When winding, I grasp the crown just tightly enough to turn it (clockwise). Then I gently release it with a few degrees counter-clockwise to keep the click-spring from snapping into place, though there's debate on how necessary this is. Re-grip with the same gentle touch as the first wind and go again. When the crown resists moving with the same pressure from my fingertips, it's good to go.

For my two Bulova mechanical movements, it's roughly 1 hour of power for every turn of the crown. Typically 40 turns.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It should be a decent enough movement. UTC was a sub-company of Seiko, for the sale of Seiko movements to other companies:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: UTC 29

Hartmut Richter
    kayeng and mystic nerd like this.

Thanks much guys. Regarding 7.3 , please see video. He winds it one way, then goes the opposite direction, then winds again, back and forth, I guess until he felt resistance getting stronger?
    https://m.youtube.com/?reload=5&rdm=...?v=AMlVfiPiXa4

By the way, here's the dial.
    cptwalker likes this.

Having trouble with the link. Sorry. Just follow this link if you want to see
    https://m.youtube.com/?reload=5&rdm=...?v=AMlVfiPiXa4

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

Why can't I post the YouTube video? Any just search for Seiko vintage hand winding wristwatch

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information