Help with My Late Uncle's Vintage Omega Seamaster
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Help with My Late Uncle's Vintage Omega Seamaster

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with My Late Uncle's Vintage Omega Seamaster

Hi everyone,

I am not hugely into vintage watches, but I have recently come into possession of my late uncle's Omega Seamaster - his sons had it for the longest time but weren't restoring it, so I decided to take action. I'm hoping to get some help with determining the year of production, as well as well as some clarity regarding the unique dial.

Based on the information found when we opened the caseback, it has a serial number of 15475169, the movement is Cal. 471 and the model reference is 2828. Based on this, does anyone know the year of production or how to determine this? Also, while the inside of the caseback indicates it is a 2828, the dial has a crosshair on it, something which I can't seem to find on many other Seamaster 2828 references. Were any 2828 references produced like this? Or is there a chance that the dial was modified at some point?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Statick; May 28th, 2017 at 21:45. Reason: Attempting to fix picture attachments
    busmatt and KasperDK like this.
    Shearwater Research Teric --- Casio G-Shock Solar Frogman (GW-200Z) --- Citizen Promaster Titanium Aqualand (JV0051-60E) --- Seiko Prospex Solar Diver (SBDN003) --- Certina DS Action Diver Chronograph (C013.427.11.041.00) --- Rolex Submariner (114060) --- Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver (SBGA229G) --- Tudor Hydronaut II (20030-93570) --- Longines Heritage Pocket Watch (L7.012.4.21.1)

Re: Help with My Late Uncle's Vintage Omega Seamaster

Half your pics are missing. As to the year, the Cal 471 dates to the 50's per Ranfft.
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Omega 471
    Statick likes this.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Thanks for the link, boss. And my apologies for the technical issue, I believe this has now been remedied.

Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    Half your pics are missing. As to the year, the Cal 471 dates to the 50's per Ranfft.
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Omega 471
    Shearwater Research Teric --- Casio G-Shock Solar Frogman (GW-200Z) --- Citizen Promaster Titanium Aqualand (JV0051-60E) --- Seiko Prospex Solar Diver (SBDN003) --- Certina DS Action Diver Chronograph (C013.427.11.041.00) --- Rolex Submariner (114060) --- Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver (SBGA229G) --- Tudor Hydronaut II (20030-93570) --- Longines Heritage Pocket Watch (L7.012.4.21.1)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The serial number dates this to 56-57 and I can find other seamasters with the crosshair dial. http://www.vintage-watches-collectio...utomatic-1956/

Sent from my T03 using Tapatalk
    Statick likes this.

Looks nice! A new crystal and a service and you have a very nice watch.
    Statick likes this.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    Looks nice! A new crystal and a service and you have a very nice watch.
    My sentiments exactly,

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    Statick likes this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Last edited by Statick; May 29th, 2017 at 06:41. Reason: Posting error

Thanks for all of the help, gents. I've had a local &trusted watchmaker take a look at it and will be having the movementserviced, crystal & crown replaced (as the latter is certainly notoriginal), and the case & bracelet ultrasonically cleaned. I've alsoemailed Omega to see if they can offer any insight. Any further thoughts areencouraged and most certainly welcome.

A bit of background on the watch and the original owner... My mother's secondeldest brother received this on his wedding day, which, despite the age of thewatch, was in the mid-1960s. For the next 40 years, he would wear it daily; itserved him well as an engineer at the busiest shipyard in Karachi. He did havethe watch serviced a few times in this period, that’s where the incorrect crownwas likely applied. In the mid-2000s, his sons bought him a few newer watchesand he started to use them; the Seamaster then started seeing less and less useuntil it went into storage. About a year and a half ago, the fine gentlemanpassed away peacefully in his sleep. He was much-loved by all of his immediate &extended family, we was well-respected in his field, and above all else, heexuded the virtue of humility.

As I mentioned in the original post, his sons have hadthe watch for some time but weren’t sure on how to approach the restoration andwere also not really getting around to it. With a lot of migration thathappened in my extended family, particularly my parents’ generation, we don’thave many family heirlooms. This one should be a great start.
    busmatt and bsshog40 like this.

Thanks for all of the help, gents. I've had a local &trusted watchmaker take a look at it and will be having the movementserviced, crystal & crown replaced (as the latter is certainly notoriginal), and the case & bracelet ultrasonically cleaned. I've alsoemailed Omega to see if they can offer any insight. Any further thoughts areencouraged and most certainly welcome.

A bit of background on the watch and the original owner... My mother's secondeldest brother received this on his wedding day, which, despite the age of thewatch, was in the mid-1960s. For the next 40 years, he would wear it daily; itserved him well as an engineer at the busiest shipyard in Karachi. He did havethe watch serviced a few times in this period, that’s where the incorrect crownwas likely applied. In the mid-2000s, his sons bought him a few newer watchesand he started to use them; the Seamaster then started seeing less and less useuntil it went into storage. About a year and a half ago, the fine gentlemanpassed away peacefully in his sleep. He was much-loved by all of his immediate &extended family, we was well-respected in his field, and above all else, heexuded the virtue of humility.

As I mentioned in the original post, his sons have hadthe watch for some time but weren’t sure on how to approach the restoration andwere also not really getting around to it. With a lot of migration thathappened in my extended family, particularly my parents’ generation, we don’thave many family heirlooms. This one should be a great start.

It should be a lovely heirloom when serviced, one thing, have the case and bracelet cleaned by all means but please don't let anyone polish it, it would ruin a very good watch.

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information