HELP! Need to DATE this SCOTLAND fusse Silver watch Breckenridge & Son

Thread: HELP! Need to DATE this SCOTLAND fusse Silver watch Breckenridge & Son

HELP! Need to DATE this SCOTLAND fusse Silver watch Breckenridge & Son

The silver hallmarks on the case from London seem to match 1875?, but the movement seems earlier to me. Haven't found much on the maker Breckenridge & Son other than references to some clocks around 1840. Town is Kilmarnock and marked on movement. This town was also listed on clocks. Does this really look like an 1875 movement to you guys? Any other info would also be greatly appreciated!. The silver dial, btw, is silver with solid gold numerals. And the watch runs. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: HELP! Need to DATE this SCOTLAND fusse Silver watch Breckenridge & Son

I agree, case is 1875.

Movement looks like some of mine from that era, so seems date consistent to my eyes.

Also, seems the number on the cock matches the case, so that is most likely the serial number.
    Last edited by trim; November 16th, 2010 at 23:19.

A very good looking watch! Everything seems consistent to me. This looks like a typical seven jewel fusee from that period.

More important, the serial number from the case also appears on the balance cock. I wont be surprised if it is also found on other parts (eg. dial side of main plate). So, I would not worry about this being a marriage of parts.

Breckenridge & Son would, in all probability, have been a retailer not the maker of this piece.

Cheers

Aditya
    Last edited by aditya; November 17th, 2010 at 06:39.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The 1875 London hallmarked case is likely made by Joseph Walton, 7 Upper Charles Street, Clerkenwell (from 21 October 1874). He is registered with this mark first time 16 February 1867 (but then at 28 Tyson Street) and last entry was 17 July 1903. The company later changed to JW&Co with different makers mark, last registered in 1915.

Loomes mentions Breckenridge, and refers to listing with spelling Breakenridge. There is one Breakenridge & Son, King Street, Kilmarnock, Scotland from 1836 to 1898. Breakenridge & Son is stated to be the successor of Alexander Breckenridge.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Thanks everyone, as always! Interesting note on the matching serial numbers... I didn't even pick up the first "2" on the balance cock. Because of that, I read it as "1723" referring maybe some model or commemorative year. Didn't even notice the the rest of the numbers being consistent with the case. Not too alert of me... feel kinda stupid

Quote Originally Posted by AccuJohn View Post
    Thanks everyone, as always! Interesting note on the matching serial numbers... I didn't even pick up the first "2" on the balance cock. Because of that, I read it as "1723" referring maybe some model or commemorative year. Didn't even notice the the rest of the numbers being consistent with the case. Not too alert of me... feel kinda stupid
    You need to buy a loupe

Aditya

sad part is I have one

Very often these old fusees had something interesting engraved on the balance cock. In your case it is just the serial number.

When the English lever (or side lever) escapement was replacing others like the verge & the rack lever one would find 'detached' on the cock. 'patent lever' sometimes (but not always!) indicates something rare like one of the 'Massey' levers.

another interesting feature of your watch is the Bosley type regulator with the under-slung hairspring which is typical of the period. A little later and you would find the regulator has migrated to the top of the balance cock where it still resides in watches that have a regulator.

Aditya
    Last edited by aditya; November 18th, 2010 at 05:31.

Thread Information