Help need to ID my new watch and movent please
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help need to ID my new watch and movent please

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help need to ID my new watch and movent please

Hi all,
    I`ve just had this new arrival drop on my doormat and would be grateful for any assistance in identifying either the maker or the movement as I can find no identifying marks.
    Name:  PICT2131.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  182.4 KBName:  PICT2127.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  182.6 KBName:  PICT2128.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  183.4 KBName:  PICT2130.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  327.5 KB

The watch is very good appearance wise and also keeping good time so far (only been on my wrist a few hours so far tho)
    An eagle -eyed member on here (Vintage 1982) spotted that the movement is missing it`s cap jewel so ideally I want to find out both who produced the movement and where I could source a replacement jewel so that I don`t damaged the watch if I wear it semi regularly.
    A fragment from the original jewel is still in place and I`m guessing that the watch may have been dropped at some point using the jewel to break.
    I think the watch may then have been consigned to a drawer for years awaiting repair as the case shows very little sign of regular wear - maybe it was for "Sunday Best" ?

The case back inscription gives a date clue as does this mark inside the case back:
    Name:  Kessi Freres.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  1.4 KB
    Thanks to Mikrolisk it seems to be that of Kessi Freres SA and also registered in 1931 as Bielna SA .
    I assume this relates to the case manufacturers only though . Case is marked rolled gold. 20 microns.

Much as I enjoy collecting Vintage watches I`m no good on movement identifying and would be grateful for any insights and guidance on both the history and hopefully repair of my new piece.
    Many thanks.
    Demonfinder
    Last edited by demonfinder; November 17th, 2015 at 15:18.
    busmatt likes this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Help need to ID my new watch and movent please

Is the cap Jewel missing or is that the shock absorbing device?
    demonfinder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Is the cap Jewel missing or is that the shock absorbing device?
    Good question. We (Demonfinder and I) discussed this movement already on Whatsapp. It could be that this is just the type of shock protection. After all it says patent shock absorber on the trainwheel bridge. But it's certainly something odd and if you look closely you can see a tiny red where a capstone usually is. My guess is that it was damaged and is mostly missing now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ah...I didn`t think of that Mirius.
    I`ve just had a second look and you could well be right -it looks as though the jewel may be almost obscured under the shock absorber .
    Under better lighting I can now see little glints of ruby under each of the four gaps in he shock device -What a relief !
    I was wondering how the watch was managing to run so well if the balance was compromised by lack of a full jewel.
    Thanks very much.
    I`d still like to find out about the movement/history though as it`s the only one in my collection that has any adjustments marked on it ..I may be moving up market without breaking the bank :0)

That's great news! I did wonder but there is only so much I can enlarge a photo on my phone :(

Though of course that could be just the end stone and not the cap. If it has a cap?
    Hopefully someone will give us the patent soon as that is an early shock absorber.

After reading your comments Mirius it dawned on me this is the earliest watch I have with shock protection - 1931.
    I have read that shock protection in pocket watches was around from the 1700`s (Breuget I believe invented it).
    Maybe a topic for another thread as I`d be interested to know when it was first in use on wristwatch movements as opposed to converted pocket watch ones.
    Any info appreciated -or steer to an existing thread that I`ve missed.
    Thanks again- your now a shock advisor to me as well as a Roamer/MST guru

Well I don't know about that! However on reflection it should have a capstone as its marked 15 jewels.

I also suspect that it has an antimagnetic hairspring (albeit appearing off centre) so that is also early as they became popular in the late Twenties.

"There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonaught View Post
    You may be on to something there although it's not likely to be this particular one. The click is completely different and the studholder too.
    The base caliber is a Helvetia and the Helvetia shock system looks somewhat similar to this one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information