Help: Need Info on this Pocket Watch / Repeater

Thread: Help: Need Info on this Pocket Watch / Repeater

Help: Need Info on this Pocket Watch / Repeater

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some info regarding a pocket watch I inherited about 40 years ago. It has been sitting in my safe ever since. Any information as to age and possibly value would be gratly appreciated.

It is a J.Barth & Fils Repeater/Chronograph
    14Kt gold
    minute repeater

Don't know anything about the movement, age, history, etc.... Watch appears like it was never used much if at all in original wooden box. Would like to know if someone knows who made the movement?

Don't know how to upload images but I have uploaded images here;
    http://picasaweb.google.com/jstillwa...byrrmBiamttAE#

Last edited by Eeeb; September 25th, 2010 at 01:57. Reason: added a few pics to the post using moderator magic LOL

Re: Help: Need Info on this Pocket Watch / Repeater

Quote Originally Posted by shpritz View Post
    Hello. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some info regarding a pocket watch I inherited about 40 years ago. It has been sitting in my safe ever since. Any information as to age and possibly value would be gratly appreciated.

It is a J.Barth & Fils Repeater/Chronograph
    14Kt gold
    minute repeater

Don't know anything about the movement, age, history, etc.... Watch appears like it was never used much if at all in original wooden box. Would like to know if someone knows who made the movement?

Don't know how to upload images but I have uploaded images here;
    http://picasaweb.google.com/jstillwa...byrrmBiamttAE#
    I am sorry I missed this post. That is one beautiful watch!

We don't do valuations but the case being sold for melt is a small chunk of change given the current gold price. (That is a valuation term I learned on Pawn Stars -- 'melt' is the melted down value of the gold. "Sold for melt" only sets a price, not a destination.)

It is a one button chronograph. And a minute repeater (chimes every minute and different tones for the hour (almost certainly))... quite impressive and one of the most complicated watches of its time.

Does it run? Do you have any experience with it?

What can I say?? The bridging is classic Swiss. Probably the 19th Century but might be early 20th. The Hallmarks may say something but may not be good enough to do any more than confirm a Swiss origin.

J(oseph). Barth and Sons was a Geneva jeweler in the later 19th Century... so this is probably a 'generic' Swiss movement... but a very complicated one!

The 14 carats is a little odd. That percentage of gold is more popular in the US than elsewhere (it is the legal minimum for "solid gold" in the US). Gold cases from Europe are more commonly 18kt (or 9kt - a UK speciality). Maybe the watch was for export to the US.

As the above shows, I really don't know much of value. Others might.

The Photography forum has instructions on how to post pics. Putting the actual pics in your post will produce more interest as many folks won't go off-site to view them.

Thanks for posting. Sorry for the delayed response.
    Last edited by Eeeb; September 24th, 2010 at 04:12. Reason: found info on Barth
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thanks for the reply. It is indeed a minute repeater. Different chime for hour versus minutes. Quarter hour is a double chime so say 2:52 would chime as follows; Bong, Bong,(for the hour 2) Bing-Bong, Bing-Bong, Bing-Bong (for 45 minutes) Bing,Bing,Bing, Bing ,Bing,Bing,Bing (for the additional 7 minutes).

It is indeed 14 Kt (.55) and I could not find anything in the movement though I have been told it appears to be a LeCoultre movement.

The watch as I stated looks new and works perfectly. I don't plan on selling it but was trying to get as much info as possible for my son when he inherits it.

Thanks; JC

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I am sorry I missed this post. That is one beautiful watch!

We don't do valuations but the case being sold for melt is a small chunk of change given the current gold price. (That is a valuation term I learned on Pawn Stars -- 'melt' is the melted down value of the gold. "Sold for melt" only sets a price, not a destination.)

It is a one button chronograph. And a minute repeater (chimes every minute and different tones for the hour (almost certainly))... quite impressive and one of the most complicated watches of its time.

Does it run? Do you have any experience with it?

What can I say?? The bridging is classic Swiss. Probably the 19th Century but might be early 20th. The Hallmarks may say something but may not be good enough to do any more than confirm a Swiss origin.

J(oseph). Barth and Sons was a Geneva jeweler in the later 19th Century... so this is probably a 'generic' Swiss movement... but a very complicated one!

The 14 carats is a little odd. That percentage of gold is more popular in the US than elsewhere (it is the legal minimum for "solid gold" in the US). Gold cases from Europe are more commonly 18kt (or 9kt - a UK speciality). Maybe the watch was for export to the US.

As the above shows, I really don't know much of value. Others might.

The Photography forum has instructions on how to post pics. Putting the actual pics in your post will produce more interest as many folks won't go off-site to view them.

Thanks for posting. Sorry for the delayed response.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by shpritz View Post
    Thanks for the reply. It is indeed a minute repeater. Different chime for hour versus minutes. Quarter hour is a double chime so say 2:52 would chime as follows; Bong, Bong,(for the hour 2) Bing-Bong, Bing-Bong, Bing-Bong (for 45 minutes) Bing,Bing,Bing, Bing ,Bing,Bing,Bing (for the additional 7 minutes).

It is indeed 14 Kt (.55) and I could not find anything in the movement though I have been told it appears to be a LeCoultre movement.

The watch as I stated looks new and works perfectly. I don't plan on selling it but was trying to get as much info as possible for my son when he inherits it.

Thanks; JC
    The repeater is activated by pressing the oval button on the side?

These Swiss 'generic' movements came from a variety of shops. It takes a real expert with the watch apart and in hand to do some of the identifications (which can come from information under the dial). But many of them can not be traced to a specific maker.

However, I suspect very few shops had the ability to build a watch like this.

This Lemania bears some resemblance to your movement

If you ever get the dial off, post a movement pic.
    Last edited by Eeeb; September 25th, 2010 at 01:51.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I have been slow to this thread, because I haven't had anything productive to add - but I just have to say it is absolutely gorgeous

Eeb,

The repeater is activated by pulling on the slide-catch on the side of the watch (which is at the top of the watch-case in that photo of the movement). The oval button, I suspect, operates the chronograph feature. The button above the crown obviously opens the watch-case and the crown winds and sets the time.

A very very fine timepiece. I wish I could have it. Don't ever lose it or destroy it, you'll never find another one like it.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information