Help! Need opinion/advice on the Allaine I've bought.

Thread: Help! Need opinion/advice on the Allaine I've bought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! Need opinion/advice on the Allaine I've bought.

Hi, I went ahead and bought this Allaine from ebay. I did post here asking whether it was realistic to expect an unworn, completely flawless watch from the 60's to turn up and got some helpful advice, basically saying it's not unheard of for old stock to be found. Now it's arrived and it is in perfect condition. Seller said it was from the 50's but from what one member on here said, is more likely to be 60's. All I know is that Allaine were one of many swiss watch makers at this point and they no longer exist. Any opinions/comments etc would be much appreciated as it's a present and it'd nice to be able to tell the recipient a little more about it (and if it's genuine!).
    Name:  allaine 2.jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  47.0 KBName:  allaine 1.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  9.4 KBName:  allaine 3.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  30.6 KBThanks!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Help! Need opinion/advice on the Allaine I've bought.

It looks in great shape! Nevertheless, unless it's been serviced recently, it will need a service even if it hasn't been worn. The small case back suggests that the movement will have to be removed dial side even if the case back opens (you remove some screws and push it out dial side).

Hartmut Richter

oh great, that's helpful, thanks :) it is in scarily good condition. i've been a bit sceptical until now...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,

Looks in great shape! I think it could be classed as NOS! I have owned a couple of those, with matching case/lug design! I may have some pics at home on disc!

If I remember, the case back does pop off! But unless you have a good case knife, I would not try this, as you dont want to scratch that perfect back!

As Hartmut says... I would get it serviced - and stop winding it!! If the watch has been sat around for 50 years... the oil would have dried up and dust would have got inside.... as such, winding the watch, could be causing damage!!

After writing the above, I thought I would check the bay.... I am guessing you bought this watch from Jordanna-h1??

I only mention this, as I am slightly surprised to see, how many identical Allaine watches he has sold.... of his 10 feedback, 9 are the same watch.... and he has others for sale!!!

Would be interested to hear what others think on that.... does that amount of NOS watches come in batches??
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

ps, what does NOS mean?!

yikes, i've already wound it once! is it really bad to do this despite it looking so pristine? i'm not about to start trying to get the back off, I think I'll leave that to the experts although obviously I'd love to have a look at the movement. it wasn't jordanna actually, it was stella-mansfield who also had a bulk lot, which is why i was so sceptical initially. i used to send my watches away to be serviced but could you recommend somewhere good in london perhaps?

Marc, the Swiss watch industry went through several cycles of massive over production, often having large amount of stock on hand ,at every level of the distribution channel. Often when these watches pop up, it's in case lots, and they're from the lesser known makers. There are several companies that specialize in finding and selling these. There is one seller in Israel that even has some NOS Tissots.

Winding the watch once shouldn't harm the watch. NOS means New Old Stock
    I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    Marc, the Swiss watch industry went through several cycles of massive over production, often having large amount of stock on hand ,at every level of the distribution channel. Often when these watches pop up, it's in case lots, and they're from the lesser known makers. There are several companies that specialize in finding and selling these. There is one seller in Israel that even has some NOS Tissots.
    Hi Mike,

I have come accross such 'batches' before... I was wondering if these watches were made by the company - 'Allaine' in this instance - and have been sat around in a box for 50+ years waiting to be found...... Or, a 'batch' of cases/dials have been found... hands put on... and sold as original?

I dont know... that is why i asked.... plus i am always sceptical!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ltri View Post
    Winding the watch once shouldn't harm the watch. NOS means New Old Stock
    I did not mean to scare you by saying 'stop winding it'.... but you should be aware, that continued use of a watch what is not properly 'oiled' will cause damage over time!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I did find some pics on a disc, of the 'vintage' Allaine I sold....

Date on the pic says 'taken in 2002'.... which means I had not set the date right on my camera... Think I sold this 2 -3 years ago!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information