Help needed

Thread: Help needed

Help needed

Hello,

I hope someone here can help me estimate the value of the watch I have.It's antique pocket watch,according to serial number on the back it dates from 1894. Open face golden case,15 jewels. Anyway,I'll post few pictures :

View image: DSC 0079

View image: DSC 0080

I inherited the watch 5 years ago,it's just sitting in my drawer and I'm in need of money.The clock works and it's in pretty good shape,I'm not expert of course.

If I would want to sell the watch,how do you do it ? Especially from where I come from,Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Thanks for your answers :)

Re: Help needed

Well, the watch is a 15j model 1883 grade 84, built around 1896. Its a good quality watch, with a patent regulator and breguet hairspring; not super high grade but with enough "features" to keep excellent time.

We can't really give "values" here (there are too many variables); you can check on ebay for similar 15j Waltham model 1883s. But I can tell you that its not worth a great deal. The model 1883 was the single most common model of pocket watch ever produced; there are millions of them out there. So while lots of people collect them, those people have plenty of options to choose from.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thank you for your answer. But e-bay isn't the best measure imo. Can you give me the rough estimation at least ? And is the e-bay the best place to sell it ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ebay is as good a measure as any, especially for watch as common as this one. Of course, it depends on how you intend to sell it. Ebay is the quickest, usually, and gives you a pretty average return. Private auctions can bring higher prices (especially if you choose an auction house known for carrying decent watches), but the turnaround is usually longer. Private listings or consignment can get you the highest price, but you need to be able to wait for the right buyer to come along. As I mentioned, the challenge with a watch like this is that there are so many of them out there that a savvy buyer can afford to wait for the price they want.

There's a book published yearly called "Complete Price Guide to Watches" by Cooksey Shugart. It provides good general pricing, especially for American watches. My 2002 copy, for example, suggests that a generic 15j 1883 in average to fine condition is worth $70-100. Not sure how much that value has moved over the last decade. You may want to find someone with a more recent copy.

Thanks alot for your effort. I am kinda disappointed with the price,I mean I could probably get more if I melt the gold only from the watch...

I thought the watch old ~120 years was more expensive.

By the way,I couldn't find any similar watch on ebay. And as I don't understand how it works,I find it strange that 2 clocks almost indentical to eachother have a different price,like one costs 70$,the other 1800$ .
    Last edited by Nargar0th; December 29th, 2012 at 21:47.

For one thing, only check "completed listings"...a lot of the "Buy it now" prices are just stupid optimism. Second, you have to be able to understand the differences between the models. Some models and some types are more "scarce" then others, and will fetch higher prices. Also, watches in solid gold cases are (not surprisingly) more expensive then gold filled (and sorry, but given the level of wear we can see on yours, I doubt you'd be able to "melt" enough gold off it to make it worth your while). Finally, a well designed listing with lots of good, clear pictures will usually get higher prices then others.

Yes,I understand. Well,nevermind,I'll just put it back in the drawer to catch some dust :P

I was googling for a long time before I found this site,and your answers were really helpful for me to understand the whole thing about antique watches.Thanks alot :)

Thread Information