Help needed with identification of this vintage GP Seahawk

Thread: Help needed with identification of this vintage GP Seahawk

Help needed with identification of this vintage GP Seahawk

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if any of you could tell me more about this vintage GP Seahawk I have bought recently. The case is 14 K Gold with SS back, and it looks and runs great. My guess is that it could be of late 40s / early 50s but would anybody know some details about the movement (caliber, specifications, more axact date of manufacture)? All information is highly appreciated!!
    Name:  SH1.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  51.3 KBName:  sh4.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  116.0 KBName:  sh5.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  60.3 KBName:  sh7.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  120.4 KB

Re: Help needed with identification of this vintage GP Seahawk

Hi there,

what makes you believe that the top is solid gold? Commonly a steelback is used on goldplated cases, and I actually know only one company (Gübelin), who made gold cases with steel back, after their claimed philosophy that they never ever use plated materials.

However, the dial was redone at some point, not well done, but at least fairly. Else I have no doubts that all is legit.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there,

what makes you believe that the top is solid gold? Commonly a steelback is used on goldplated cases, and I actually know only one company (Gübelin), who made gold cases with steel back, after their claimed philosophy that they never ever use plated materials.

However, the dial was redone at some point, not well done, but at least fairly. Else I have no doubts that all is legit.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Hi, thanks for the reply. First of all, the case is marked 14K gold (I am attaching the picture). As for the dial, it is intact actually: what seems to be the blurry part or some kind of a stain, this is just a scratched crystal which is going to be replaced for a new one. As a matter of fact, the dial is absolutely clean. I will post more photos once the dial is replaced. Would you have any ideas about the caliber?
    Regards

Name:  sh3.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  131.6 KB
    Last edited by peterki; November 20th, 2013 at 07:41.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by peterki View Post
    ...the case is marked 14K gold (I am attaching the picture).
    The top is from Wadsworth, the back has all typical signatures of a Swiss made case. As mentined above: With plated top it would be likely legit, while this combination of American gold top and Swiss steel back would make me nervous. Just to make sure: Did you buy it in South America?

Quote Originally Posted by peterki View Post
    Would you have any ideas about the caliber?
    It's written on the movement: GP 06. They often used own escapement parts, but also sold samples with the original epuipment of the movement supplier, in this case Peseux. This is indicated by the suffix "AF", back then kind of economy version though. The rest is a batch number, and nobody knows its meaning.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Hi there,

The top is from Wadsworth, the back has all typical signatures of a Swiss made case. As mentined above: With plated top it would be likely legit, while this combination of American gold top and Swiss steel back would make me nervous. Just to make sure: Did you buy it in South America?
    Dear Roland,

thank you again for this information. I bought the watch on Ebay. I do agree that the combination gold case / steel back is strange (also given the fact that the Seahawk was originally meant to be a rather sporty watch), but could it be that the case was custom made in the US?

It's written on the movement: GP 06. They often used own escapement parts, but also sold samples with the original epuipment of the movement supplier, in this case Peseux. This is indicated by the suffix "AF", back then kind of economy version though. The rest is a batch number, and nobody knows its meaning.
    Thanks for this! As for the date of manufacture, is my guess late 40s / early 50s probable?

All the best.

Did you buy it in South America?
    And one more thing: the Ebay seller who sold the watch was a German.

Thread Information