Help needed identifying Baume watch?

Thread: Help needed identifying Baume watch?

Help needed identifying Baume watch?

Hi All, i have a ladies 15k gold watch with a 15k gold brittanic bracelet. There is no makers mark on the dial, the case is marked AB swiss, import marks for UK are there as well as hallmark year date of 1918. The movement is marked Baume and co with 3 stars and 10.85N. The box it came in is a J.W. Benson of Ludgate hill London. Is this watch a Benson, Baume or Longines or something else?
    Your help is appreciated.
    Thanks Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Help needed identifying Baume watch?

Quote Originally Posted by saintdave View Post
    Hi All, i have a ladies 15k gold watch with a 15k gold brittanic bracelet. There is no makers mark on the dial, the case is marked AB swiss, import marks for UK are there as well as hallmark year date of 1918. The movement is marked Baume and co with 3 stars and 10.85N. The box it came in is a J.W. Benson of Ludgate hill London. Is this watch a Benson, Baume or Longines or something else?
    Your help is appreciated.
    Thanks Dave.
    Can't say much on this watch - but others seem to have even less to say. We have had a Baume here that has had its movement signed "Heuer" so there may be a connection there. I am not sure where you ran across the idea that yours might be a Longines but the idea isn't as far fetched as that - the calibre code is certainly similar to those by Longines. There is no Cal. 10.85N in Ranfft's database but this one is a reasonable match (apart from size):

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...ongines_17_89M

Hartmut Richter

The company Baume & Cie had the B&Co*** trade mark registered in 1880. The only reference I could find of any connection between Baume and Longines was that in 1867 the London branch of Baume was the sole marketing agent of the newly founded Fabrique Longines for England. Apparently some watches were marked Baume, Longines.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kurtnz View Post
    The company Baume & Cie had the B&Co*** trade mark registered in 1880. The only reference I could find of any connection between Baume and Longines was that in 1867 the London branch of Baume was the sole marketing agent of the newly founded Fabrique Longines for England. Apparently some watches were marked Baume, Longines.
    Right on, Baume was the agent for Longines in London. The movement does look to resemble some of the ladies calibers made by Longines.

Thanks for the help, i found this information on the net:
    J.W.Benson 1849-1973, they made there own watches & clocks until WW1 when there workshops where bombed, thereafter they used movements from Baume & Co = Longines,Vertex,Cyma/Tavannes, the name Bensons was sold in 1973 possibly to Garrards the story goes.
    They supplied watches to the Admiralty in the 19th century plus Queen Victoria and Albert.
    The watch came in what looks to be its original box which is a J.W. Benson one, maybe this is a Benson one.

Thread Information